Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Overheating problem, can't figure it out

Search this Thread

Old September 2nd, 2006, 3:36 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Overheating problem, can't figure it out

I've had to put new radiators on My 91 c2500, My 94 c1500, and My 94 c3500 after about 130K miles. Just part of the game. Luckily they're not real expensive.
Old September 7th, 2006, 12:46 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: Overheating problem, can't figure it out

Hey guys sorry it took me so long, I forgot to get back with you.

So my old radiator was leaking, I figured I had to replace it regardless so I found a new one at Pep Boys for $160. Got a new cap as well. I had already flushed it the weekend before so I was good there. Put all new fluid in the new radiator and left the truck idling with the A/C on full blast. Temp was around 97 degrees that evening. Left the truck running for about 15 minutes, usually the temp is up and around 210 after idling that long with a/c on. Temp was around 180. Took it around for about 45 minutes in stop and go driving, engine never got hot one time???? I have been driving it back and forth to work every day since in 100 degree weather with a/c on full time and zero heat problems. It was the radiator. Old radiator was a little plugged up and a little rust coloration down low, plus the leak. I don't know what I really learned from this, but just got lucky the radiator was the problem.

PS-I love this truck. It has ben the finest vehicle I have ever owned. Even though I just purchased a Ford Powerstroke diesel, I plan on keeping my Chevy forever. AND, I'm still a Chevy man. Just got a deal I couldn't pas up with the Powerstroke.
Old February 15th, 2010, 11:36 AM
CF Beginner

Default 1991 Overheating

My truck can over heat in a very few miles. I replaced the radiator a few months back, but did not replace the thermostat or hoses. Could this be the the cause for it getting hot?
Old February 15th, 2010, 2:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try the thermostat, and start your own thread next time, please.
Old March 1st, 2010, 11:48 PM
CF Junior Member

make sure the radiator is filled all the way up and the over flow id replace the thermostat and also yes make sure you put the stock fans back on it had the same problem with a camaro that i put a flex fan on
Old November 16th, 2014, 3:19 PM
CF Beginner

Default I think I know what's wrong

Originally Posted by jessejames
There is no fan clutch on the truck. It is bolted directly to the water pump. I know it sounds unlikely, and you can't move the fan with the engine off. It's really weird. Last night the radiator started leaking on the driver's side high. Hose looks good, pretty sure the leak is out of the radiator. So I guess I need a new radiator anyway. But it still feels like the engine is idling too low with the a/c on. I don't get this.

PS- If the fan is automatically spinning, putting a fan clutch on it to try and fix this is a waste of time right?
Check ur IAC sensor make sure it is clean and plugged in to harness I had the same problem it turns out that it was unplugged located on side of the throttle body near egr valve .I hope this helps otherwise it may be mass airflow sensor.