Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Problems with my 96 Z71

Search this Thread

Old January 29th, 2010, 4:56 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems with my 96 Z71

First, and most important, every now and then when I crank it it turns over, then its like the starter gets hung. I turn the key back and re crank, and it starts up fine. It has a new starter and new flywheel.

Second, the brake lights dont work at all. New bulbs, checked all electrical harnesses and connections, and checked all fuses. Everything is in working order, im thinking the module behind the brake pedal needs to be replaced?

Third, the front alignment is way off, I have excessive tire wear on the inside on both front tires, and its worst on the passenger side front.

Shes been through a lot, and I love that truck. I plan to run it till one of us dies, I would appreciate and advice/ opinions.
Old January 29th, 2010, 2:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could be the wrong tooth flywheel for the starter
Old January 29th, 2010, 5:27 PM
CF Active Member

Or it could be that you need some shims for the starter that will be placed in between the starter and block. Are both brake lights out or just one whole side? And sounds like you need to take it to get aligned, preferably from a shop that uses a computer like Sears.
Old January 29th, 2010, 5:44 PM
CF Beginner

Yes, both taillights are out. Im thinking its the brake light switch, gotta stick a new one in it tonight. And Im leaning toward the wrong tooth starter, it sounds very plausible. Checked for tooth wear or rounding today, and ith flywheel seems fine, I suppose it could still be just a similar tooth pattern. I think its a cheapo starter too, Had the starter and flywheel replaced by what turned out to be a crappy mechanic cause I didnt have time myself then. I guess thats what I get for not doing things myself one time, I only trust myself these days ha ha
Old January 29th, 2010, 6:07 PM
CF Active Member

Had a similar story when I took my truck to get an oil change (the only time I ever let anyone else touch the truck). I paid for some synthetic and they were trying to put in some conv. and then they broke the valve stem when checking the air. Then they tried to blame the broken valve stem on me, and I was like then how did I get over here?

Well good luck on the repairs. Let us know what it turns out to be.
Old January 30th, 2010, 12:22 AM
CF Beginner

I'll do it
Old January 30th, 2010, 7:28 PM
CF Beginner

I have officially fixed two of my problems! Still need to work on the front end, but it can wait. The others were most important. For the brakes, turned out it was a bad brake light switch. 9 dollars and a pain in the butt later and they work, thankfully. And I replaced the positive battery cable from the battery to the starter, and that fixed my noise problem. Guess it wasnt getting good voltage. It sounds like new now.
Old January 30th, 2010, 10:39 PM
CF Active Member

good to know your fixes were something simple
Old January 31st, 2010, 12:41 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Stanglineman72
I have officially fixed two of my problems! Still need to work on the front end, but it can wait. The others were most important. For the brakes, turned out it was a bad brake light switch. 9 dollars and a pain in the butt later and they work, thankfully. And I replaced the positive battery cable from the battery to the starter, and that fixed my noise problem. Guess it wasnt getting good voltage. It sounds like new now.
Thanks for letting us all know what the fixes were.