Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Ran out of gas, no spark.

Search this Thread

Old October 2nd, 2007, 8:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran out of gas, no spark.

04 Chevy Silverado 1500

Yesterday I ran out of gas right as I pulled into work and I filled it up with a five gallon gas tank to get to the nearest gas station. The truck started up on the second try and I let it idle for a minute and it stalled out. I started it back up ran it for a minute and headed home were it stalled out again. I pulled over waited a few seconds and started it again. I made it to the gas station where I got 14.5 gallons of gas and headed home. So the next day I started the truck right up no problem, but I noticed the truck occasionally bucked and after 5 minutes I lost power and the truck stalled. Now the truck won't strart at all. It tries to turn over but won't. I wasn't sure if there was air in the line and if that would cause the truck to stall. Also we checked the fuel line before the intake and we have fuel. We can hear the fuel pump initiate and all fuses are good. The only thing I can think of is a faulty fuel pump relay...maybe something with the distributor, spark plugs(not sure how old they are), ignition module, clogged fuel filter, or maybe there is something small I am not doing, any suggestions are appreciated.

JC
Old October 2nd, 2007, 11:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Ran out of gas, now engine won't turn over.

Since the problem started when you ran out of gas, I would start looking there. Maybe a stopped up filter or a bad fuel pump. The pump is supposed to be submerged and when the tank goes dry, the pump can be damaged. Have your fuel pressure checked at the check fitting on the fuel rail behind the throttle body. Good luck.
Old October 2nd, 2007, 11:23 PM
CF Beginner

Fuel pump is most likely culprit. Especially true if it is an old pump.

Old October 7th, 2007, 11:07 AM
CF Beginner

If it helps I get no spark using a tester direct from the spark plug wires...just replaced the ignition coil, used a jumper to ground it (didn't bolt into bracket just trying to test it) and still no spark at the plugs does it have to be bolted into the bracket to get the proper ground? If anybody can think of anything else that would prevent the plugs from giving spark I would appreciate it.
Old October 7th, 2007, 2:45 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you looked into the distributor to make sure everything is OK in there? Have you tested the coil wireto see if it's firing to the distributor?
Old October 9th, 2007, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

So it turns out after all that it was a faulty cable that powers the ignition coil. When we first tested it we had power but bend it just the slightest and BAM no power, no spark.