Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900
Old July 27th, 2015, 5:38 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Transmission Guides
Print Wikipost

silverado 1500 shifting hard from first to second gear

Search this Thread

Old August 26th, 2014, 9:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Silverado shifting hard

I am having the same problem with my truck but it doesn't do it all the time, if I go on a longer drive it will start shifting hard or if I get on a highway and get up to about 70 or 75 and then turn off it will do it but its hit or miss if it does it getting off the highway
Old August 22nd, 2016, 4:38 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Folks - Allan - new member here - sorry to revive old post, but it's closely related. you mention an easy fix to the 1-2 hard shift, if you haven' changed the fluid yet - Can you pleas describe it and does it also work for a hard 2-3 shift?

here's what's happening:
bought a 2007 Silverado Classic 4 1/2 years ago with about 70k miles on it. It had about a year left on an aftermarket extended warranty (which I didn't have alot of faith or experience in).
hard shift from 2-3 started before year was up and after 1 attempt to fix the dealership (via the extended warranty) came good for a supposedly $3000 remanned trannie with a 3 year warranty.
well, of course, just after 3 years later the hard shift has started again.

any help that - that would avoid spending big bucks on a used or another remanned unit would be appreciated.
Old December 6th, 2016, 5:34 PM
CF Beginner

Allan, Have you resolved your problem? I have a 2012 Silverado w/similar problems. Shifts HARD at times, sounds like someone hit it with a sledge hammer. Dealer just told me that's normal.

Just curious what you've found out.
Thanks,
Terry
Old June 3rd, 2017, 6:26 AM
CF Beginner

Default Hard shift from 1 to 2

Originally Posted by 75electra
I am having the same problem with my truck but it doesn't do it all the time, if I go on a longer drive it will start shifting hard or if I get on a highway and get up to about 70 or 75 and then turn off it will do it but its hit or miss if it does it getting off the highway
hey! Did you get this corrected?, I'm having exact issue as you, exactly, wondering if you fixed the problem
Old April 25th, 2018, 7:35 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Allan In NE
A banging 1-2 shift is a very simple repair and no, the transmission does not have to come down.

First, check for codes. If none are found do the following:

Drop the pan back down, remove the 1-2 accumulator housing and pull the piston. Check for a torn piston seal or broken spring, but moreso for a wobbled out piston hole, which is probably the culprit.

Now, if all these items are okay, the 1-2 check is bad (unlikely). This is where it starts to get dicey unless you've been into about a million of these things, because the valve body has to come down (you don't even wanna go there).

I think you're gonna find a bad 1-2 accumulator piston. Wish you would have hollared before you changed the oil because you could have repaired this thing in just 10 minutes.

Allan
so this usually fixes the hard 1-2 gear shift? No need for fluid change?
Old April 2nd, 2021, 2:27 AM
CF Beginner

Default I have the same problem

Did anyone ever figure out what it was? Bc I'm having the same problem now.
Old April 14th, 2021, 5:23 AM
CF Beginner

Default Did you ever figure it out?

Originally Posted by 3Fenders
Allan, Have you resolved your problem? I have a 2012 Silverado w/similar problems. Shifts HARD at times, sounds like someone hit it with a sledge hammer. Dealer just told me that's normal.

Just curious what you've found out.
Thanks,
Terry

I'm having the same problem. Did anyone ever figure it out? I have an 09 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. 160000
Old October 8th, 2021, 11:35 PM
CF Beginner

Default Having same problem

I’m having the same problems hard shift from 1-2. I changed the 1-2 accumulator and now it only does it once in awhile. Wondering if anyone figured anything ever about it?
Old April 7th, 2023, 12:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Allan In NE
A banging 1-2 shift is a very simple repair and no, the transmission does not have to come down.

First, check for codes. If none are found do the following:

Drop the pan back down, remove the 1-2 accumulator housing and pull the piston. Check for a torn piston seal or broken spring, but moreso for a wobbled out piston hole, which is probably the culprit.

Now, if all these items are okay, the 1-2 check is bad (unlikely). This is where it starts to get dicey unless you've been into about a million of these things, because the valve body has to come down (you don't even wanna go there).

I think you're gonna find a bad 1-2 accumulator piston. Wish you would have hollared before you changed the oil because you could have repaired this thing in just 10 minutes.

Allan
Bro clean your throttle body. You guys are giving bad advice .