Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Stalled on the hiway

Search this Thread

Old April 18th, 2010, 8:12 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Stalled on the hiway

I have a 2000 Silverado with the 5.3. Lately it has been sounding crappy. When I put into R or D, I hear a "clunk" sound. When I start driving, it seems like it studders somewhat and I hear a clicking sound when the windows are down. Seems to be coming from underneith, maybe more towards the back. Also the back end seems loose to me. I have noticed this has been going on for about 2 weeks now.

Yesterday, I was going out of town and got about 15 miles out when it stalled. At first, it felt like the cruise control cutting in and out. Then it quit. I coasted to the side of the road and it was dead. I tried to start it but it wouldn't start. It was turning over when I tried to start it, but it seemed like it was turning over hard. I let it sit for about 10 minutes and tried again. It started and idled slow and rough for about 5-10 seconds. Then I tried again. It turns over normal for the first crank or two but then seems like it's turning over hard. I got a ride to where I was going and on the way back we stopped and tried it again. Same thing. Started it and it ran for a couple seconds slow and rough. Then it wouldn't start. Turning over hard again. My buddy thought it might be turning over hard because it's not getting enough fuel. He is somewhat mechanically inclined, but admits that he is no mechanic.

Also, my gear lights and odemeter won't light up, my gas gague works on occasion, and some other lights are out on the radio. I was told that this was the dash cluster or something that needs to be replaced.

I've had this pickup for about 3 years and have had 0 problems with it until this winter when the odometer and gear indicater wouldn't light up. Not a big problem. Now I think I have major problems with it. This is my only vehicle and I need it ASAP. I hope someone can point me in the right direction. I don't want to be at the mercy of a dealership. I'm fairly new in town and don't know where to start.

PLEASE HELP ME!
Old April 18th, 2010, 9:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

the clunk could be the u joints for driveline. as far as other issue, it almost sounds like a bad battery, or bad connection at battery or ground. it def could be fuel related, but that wouldn't affect how the motor turns over. has battery and/or alternator ever been tested/replaced? would check connections at battery, at starter, and grounds from batter to engine and engine to frame. maybe see if someone has a battery you could borrow just to see if this helps.