Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old March 23rd, 2009, 8:57 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 98white5.0
I would even go so far as to say 85% of drivers actually fit into the "severe" category. I still wouldn't go anywhere near 25k on any oil. I don't see a reason to risk it. But I do believe it can be done and is done all the time. I don't know about paying that much for oil either.
Your points are well taken, but if a $100 oil change replaces 6 or 8 $25 oil changes, who is spending more money?
I see the word "risk" thrown around alot, which is somewhat humerous. I guess there is "risk" in lots of things...flying in a plane, driving on public highways, skydiving.....but research shows us that when done correctly, most people suffer no adverse effects from doing these things. Yet for some reason when research shows that a company has made 25k oil and filters that work and work well, lots of people refuse to believe it can be done and call it "risky".

"Oil filters can't filter effectively after 5000 miles. They can be run longer, but I wouldn't go against the filter manufacturer's reccommendation.
That is, unless its a special kind of filter."
I think part of the problem here is that some are thinking of a $4 Fram, and a $20 AMSOIL EAO filter as the same thing and they are apples and oranges. Ready to have your mind blown???AMSOIL's EAO filter is recommended for 25k....the severe service oil, their "Signature Series", under normal driving conditions, is recomended to be changed at 37,500 miles. I hadn't mentioned that before due to the difficulty in getting you convinced about 25k changes...lol.

As I said before, if 3k and replace is what you are happy with, nobody is knocking it. But I have a question... How many tens of thousands of vehicles would have to do 25k oil and filter changes without being harmed in any way for some of you to believe it is not "risky"???
They are out there driving around you everyday, with millions of miles under their belt.
Just food for thought...
Be safe and have a good week.

Last edited by texascop2; March 23rd, 2009 at 9:06 AM.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 4:28 PM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

GOTCHA!!! Took me a while to get there. I must have overlooked the fact that you are using the deep and advanced Amsoil filters.

Amsoil is generations ahead of everyone else. I have seen some of their vacuum boil tests... you'd be surprised what Mobil1 does at 29"hg vac that Amsoil doesn't do!

Originally Posted by texascop2
Is the habit THAT ingrained? lol
Every policeman I have ever met (or been pulled by) says "Be safe and have a good day." or "Be safe and have a good weekend." etc. Right after handing you the ticket. lol
Old March 23rd, 2009, 5:34 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by texascop2
Your points are well taken, but if a $100 oil change replaces 6 or 8 $25 oil changes, who is spending more money?
I see the word "risk" thrown around alot, which is somewhat humerous. I guess there is "risk" in lots of things...flying in a plane, driving on public highways, skydiving.....but research shows us that when done correctly, most people suffer no adverse effects from doing these things. Yet for some reason when research shows that a company has made 25k oil and filters that work and work well, lots of people refuse to believe it can be done and call it "risky".

"Oil filters can't filter effectively after 5000 miles. They can be run longer, but I wouldn't go against the filter manufacturer's reccommendation.
That is, unless its a special kind of filter."
I think part of the problem here is that some are thinking of a $4 Fram, and a $20 AMSOIL EAO filter as the same thing and they are apples and oranges. Ready to have your mind blown???AMSOIL's EAO filter is recommended for 25k....the severe service oil, their "Signature Series", under normal driving conditions, is recomended to be changed at 37,500 miles. I hadn't mentioned that before due to the difficulty in getting you convinced about 25k changes...lol.

As I said before, if 3k and replace is what you are happy with, nobody is knocking it. But I have a question... How many tens of thousands of vehicles would have to do 25k oil and filter changes without being harmed in any way for some of you to believe it is not "risky"???
They are out there driving around you everyday, with millions of miles under their belt.
Just food for thought...
What I meant by spending that much is spending that much all at once. I fully understand that it does cost less over time. The thing that makes me say "risk" is that oil collects dirt. That is a natural tendency, of course, and part of what it's made to do. After 6k for me, the oil is pretty dirty and I would hate to see oil that has four times as much dirt. I do understand that this is completely different oil than what I'm using and that the Amsoil filter will do its job much better also. So I bet the oil won't be dirty as quick. The only way to change the mind of people who always change their oil at 3k is for them to use the Amsoil themselves. Experience is the best way to change someone's mind. That's why I am going to try the Amsoil for my next oil change (5k away). Where do I buy this brand of oil and filter?
Old March 23rd, 2009, 10:01 PM
CF Monarch

Or to show his own lab results. But that would require a sample every 3000 miles....

Amsoil dealers are like Rainbow Vac dealers. Just regular people normally. https://www.amsoil.com/dealerlocatorresults/
There are a few retail stores.

Last edited by EvansBlue; March 23rd, 2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Originally Posted by EvansBlue
GOTCHA!!! Took me a while to get there. I must have overlooked the fact that you are using the deep and advanced Amsoil filters.

Amsoil is generations ahead of everyone else. I have seen some of their vacuum boil tests... you'd be surprised what Mobil1 does at 29"hg vac that Amsoil doesn't do!

Is the habit THAT ingrained? lol
Every policeman I have ever met (or been pulled by) says "Be safe and have a good day." or "Be safe and have a good weekend." etc. Right after handing you the ticket. lol
i think they brainwash us at the academy!!!
Old March 23rd, 2009, 11:16 PM
CF Monarch

They must, man!