Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Test Driving an 08 1500

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2007, 6:09 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test Driving an 08 1500

So I had the dealer bring in an 08 from out of town so I could test fit it in the garage. Yeah! It fits, looks good in there too.

2008 Silverado 1500, 5.3 Flex Fuel, Ext Cab, Short Box, LT1 Package.

Waiting for the Wife to come home, I just know she's gonna say "Whose truck is that in the garage?"

So what am I missing with this DIC? There's no manual in the truck, but I toggled the trip reset button and it scrolls through different displays; Odometer, Trip, Transmission Temp. Then it just scrolls back around through the same displays.
Where is the: "fuel range, average economy, fuel used, timer, and Active Fuel Management" indicators? Am I just hitting the button wrong or is there another one I haven't found yet?

Thanks in Advance,

Can't wait to explain to the sweetie that "This is our new truck we've been wanting for a long time now".
Old December 6th, 2007, 7:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Test Driving an 08 1500

Should all be on same button.
Old December 6th, 2007, 8:33 PM
CF Junior Member

My 08 does not have any fuel mileage info. If you have to use the trip reset button to scroll, you don't have much to reveiw.
Old December 7th, 2007, 2:04 AM
CF Junior Member

You just have the "basic" DIC. The one with the fuel economy and all those other things are with the DIC that has the 4 buttons to the left of the steering wheel. If your truck does not come with that one, you can order the DIC and add it on yourself. Its about 100 bucks, and its simply plug and play. Hope this helps
Old December 7th, 2007, 8:35 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: chicken_buster
You just have the "basic" DIC. The one with the fuel economy and all those other things are with the DIC that has the 4 buttons to the left of the steering wheel. If your truck does not come with that one, you can order the DIC and add it on yourself. Its about 100 bucks, and its simply plug and play. Hope this helps
Thanks All for the info, I thought I was just button-challenged.

Confusion level increasing - Analyze, Analyze, A n a l y z e....

Are you saying, I can buy the steering wheel-mounted audio controls, plug-and-play install them myself, and that automagically upgrades the DIC?

So according to the Chevy website Standard/Optional page:
"Driver Information Center controls are operated through the trip button unless steering wheel-mounted audio controls are ordered." In order to get the the "steering wheel-mounted audio controls" you have to order the 1LT Convenience Package.

1LT Convenience Package - Includes remote vehicle starter system, steering wheel-mounted audio controls and foglamps. (Why is it, to get something you want, you have some other item you don't want in a package?)

However comma, I think the Build-your-own pages are jacked-up, because theres no 1LT Convenience Package available on an LT1 Trim Selection. Guess I'll have to research this at the dealer, because its not available online.
Old December 8th, 2007, 2:05 AM
CF Junior Member

you dont have to get the 1LT package to get the better DIC, you can just add it on after you get the truck. Just go to http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/and you can order it on there, or from the dealership. Every single truck has the ability to have the better DIC, on ones without it though it is just plugged into a dummy jack on the back of the consle on the left hand side. Hope this helps. I can probably explain it better if you are still not sure. Im gonna do it to mine in the spring.
Old December 8th, 2007, 6:03 AM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: chicken_buster
you don't have to get the 1LT package to get the better DIC, you can just add it on after you get the truck. Just go to http://www.gmaccessorieszone.com/and you can order it on there, or from the dealership. Every single truck has the ability to have the better DIC, on ones without it though it is just plugged into a dummy jack on the back of the console on the left hand side. Hope this helps. I can probably explain it better if you are still not sure. I'm gonna do it to mine in the spring.
Thank you, thank you very much!

I was frustrated with the limited functionality of the stock DIC, so this part which allows enhanced DIC capability should be more satisfying.

DIC -with Instrument Panel Trim Plate PN-19159438 Price $100.00

Old December 11th, 2007, 8:50 AM
CF Junior Member

No worries, best of luck with your new truck!