Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Test driving a 2005 suburban... heard 3 chimes

Search this Thread

Old March 30th, 2014, 1:05 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Test driving a 2005 suburban... heard 3 chimes

I'm test driving a 2005 Suburban z71 this weekend.. Driving to HomeDepot this morning I heard 3 chimes.. I looked at the dash and nothing was lit up like a warning.. I did notice the that gas gauge was 3/4 full. Does it chime when it drops in gas? Also since this is my first suburban that i'm looking at, is there anything specific I should look for? It has 115,000 on it. I'm dropping it off at my mechanic tomorrow to have him go over it.
Old March 31st, 2014, 7:52 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I would do a key on to ignition on no crank position and check to see that all of the lights come on , on the IP, may have to do it a couple of times to see / check them....
consider checking that all doors are closed, that the seat belts are in use for the occupied seats...
make sure all fluids are topped off under the hood...
Old March 31st, 2014, 10:28 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Fuel pump - listen for any whining back near the fuel tank. It's an expensive fix, and they usually die around 100-125K.
Front hub/bearing assemblies are expensive to replace - check them.
Power window regulators are a known issue - make sure all windows raise and lower smoothly and quickly.
Check the shock absorbers - if it has the ZW7 suspension, the rear shocks are very expensive to replace
Brakes are also an issue - check the calipers and rotors.
Check the A/C condenser and the clutch
Check the body for rust on the bottom of the rear panels, just in front of the rear wheels; and check the bottoms of the doors for rust.

Those are all the major things I can think of - don't let my list scare you. They're great trucks. My 01 has 188,000 miles, and I would not hesitate to hook up my 7,000 lb trailer to it tomorrow and drive across the country. Original engine and transmission.
Old March 31st, 2014, 8:54 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well my mechanic went over it and gave it a thumbs up.. Just a few little maintenance this that need to be done.. One thing he noticed was the driver sideview mirrow was loose. I looked at it, it's not the actual mirror but the whole part that folds in. I tried the power folding option, the passenger side folds in but you can hear the motor on the driver side but it doesn't fold in. Is there a fix for that or will I just need to buy a new one?

Oh.. and the beeping was for the gas cap.. Never had a car that told you that was loose.