Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Troubling engine light

Search this Thread

Old June 3rd, 2020, 12:07 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Troubling engine light

Hi I have 2006 1500 Silverado. The service engine light has been coming on and off for several years now. Yes it has been scanned for codes several times no error codes ever none. I have been told the light itself was bad ?. I’m not sure what to do here we typically only drive it occasionally around town. It only has 110,000 miles on it and runs great it is do for the 100,000 mile service but I like I said this has been an ongoing issue for several years. I am going to be driving if from Ca to VA in a couple months and truly don’t want that light to be an issue as I wouldn’t no if I have a problem please any tips on what this can be and how to solve it. This truck even passes the smog check I just make sure the light is off when I take it in.

Last edited by Jcm59; June 3rd, 2020 at 12:09 PM.
Old June 3rd, 2020, 8:29 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

I hate it when things like this happen. Does the light stay on steady? Does it ever stay off? Does it flicker? Does it come when the motor is hot? How about when you just start it?
Old June 4th, 2020, 7:33 AM
CF Beginner

Default Thank you for asking

Yes it does go off and will stay off for awhile sometimes it comes back on in few minutes other times it might stay off for that trip which most trips are normally less then 20 miles as we typically only drive if around town. I have not really noticed any one thing that causes it to come on except possibly if we hit a bump but that could be my imagination. It does not flicker at all just comes on. This truck can sit for a week with out being driven. I’m going to change the plugs and wires this week as I need to get it ready for the trip to VA and it does have 110,000 miles so it’s time. I’m wondering if the o2 sensors or catalytic convertors are causing this but I would think either of those would through a code
Old June 4th, 2020, 1:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

the less sophisticated scanners are not able to pull all trouble codes.
Old June 4th, 2020, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Default Scanned

It has been scanned at Auto Zone Auto parts. Plus it is checked at the smog station in Ca it cannot pass smog with any errors that cause the service light to come on so even if the light is off the errors would still show. Also when I originally had the Chevrolet dealer Check it out they scanned it and told me that the instrument cluster needed to be changed because it was bad. No one else has ever said that so I’m really trying to figure what I need to do or what the actual problem is.
Old June 4th, 2020, 4:57 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

well if there's no other problem, I'd be inclined to use the black electrical tape solution. Out of sight out of mind
Old June 4th, 2020, 6:42 PM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
the less sophisticated scanners are not able to pull all trouble codes.
True, My $300 USD Innova pulls up lots of codes my cheap one did not.
Old June 5th, 2020, 9:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 286 Likes on 248 Posts

The instrument clusters in these trucks are known for having problems. If the CEL is intermittent and no history codes have been found, it’s either the cluster, an issue with the PCM, or the related wiring.

Have another shop confirm or debunk the cluster diagnosis. I don’t always disregard dealerships - if anything I’m somewhat sympathetic towards them as the techs who work there are often under immense pressure - but rarely is it as simple as “we scanned it and the cluster is bad.” The scanner and trouble codes are like clues in a scavenger hunt - they don’t tell you exactly what you’ll find, they just give you an area to look.

The cluster can be internally tested using a scan tool - it can command a gauge sweep, bulb test, read live data and check for cluster specific DTC’s - but even if a gauge or bulb fails that test, the root cause still needs to be determined. The power, ground, and data circuits need to be verified as functional otherwise the cluster could be replaced and still not fix the problem. Any good tech - dealership or otherwise - knows the next steps if the cluster is suspected as bad.

Clusters can be repaired but unless you’re comfortable soldering on circuit boards, I’d recommend googling for cluster repair services near you (they’re few and far between so don’t be shocked if you have to send it out of state - just be thorough in researching the company for quality repair and service).