Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

Understanding Freeze Frama Data on 03 6.0

Search this Thread

Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:09 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Understanding Freeze Frama Data on 03 6.0

Freeze Frama, lol, oops , Too bad you cant edit that yourself. I meant Frame

I installed a new MAF on my truck, it turns out that the MAF was the cause of my hesitations and loss of power. The power is back now and the hesitations are gone.

My engine light came on after a few trips, I figure the computer is sensing a new maf and is going to need a few drive cycles to adjust to it and automaticly clear the CE light. I would clear it myself ( I did Clear the computer right after the MAF install before driving it) but I want it to go off by its self, I did the same thing when I installed my K&N filter and went away by itself.

Any ways I just wanted to post the Freeze frame data when the CE light was triggered. Possibly some of you more advanced guys and ASE guys can shed some light on the data if anything looks abnormal. Id like to understand some of them better, some are obvious. Anyways , thanks in advance for any info.

Code P0101 - Mass Air Flow Performance

Fuel Sys1 Cl
Fuel Sys2 Cl
Calc Load 20.3%
ECT 89' C
STFT B1 13.2%
LTFT B1 18.7%
STFT B2 14.8%
LTFT B2 19.5%
MAP 66 KPA
Eng RPM 2559 RPM
Speed 36 MPH 54 KPH
MAF 55.07 G/S
TPS 33.3%

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; May 2nd, 2009 at 12:23 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 3:05 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I intend to map my injection on my 04 6.0 soon. MPG improvements in the past have been encouraging, and others are moving to mapping injection as the next step. I'll be getting a full service manual soon and tapping my OBD II for info, and that may help, but I'm going to be doing independent logging using fuel/air ratio,tachometer, speedo, and vacuum gauges.

Last edited by therewolf; May 2nd, 2009 at 3:08 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 8:58 AM
CF Monarch

Received 27 Likes on 9 Posts

The Freeze Frames tell you exactly under what conditions the code was released.
Basically you need to clean your MAF.

The freeze frames really help in finding drivetrain-related or ignition related codes. You can map what RPM and speed it happens at, also in most cases you can determine what gear you are in if the trans is slipping.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:28 AM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Thanks EB, I have the one from my Tahoe in it and it runs perfect. Its clean so maybe that MAF is failing too but has not effected the performance yet?

As far as understanding the Data , I was more out to understand what STFT , LTFT, B1 & B2 means.

Last edited by Mike Sigmond; May 2nd, 2009 at 10:31 AM.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

STFT stands for short term fuel trim. It is the amount of fuel being added or subtracted to compensate for a rich or lean condition. Stft is instant reading. LTFT is long term fuel trim. It is the average of the compensation over a period of time. STFT uses the o2 sensors to calculate LTFT uses STFT to calculate. If the number is positive it is adding fuel for lean if it is negative it is talking away fuel for rich. I know for a ford spec is 0 + or - 10 but for some reason I can not remember Chevy at the moment.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 2:27 PM
Super Moderator
ROTM Coordinator

Thank you MDTAHOE, thats very helpful to me and I understand it a little more now.