Notices
Silverado, Sierra & Fullsize Pick-ups The Silverado & Sierra have been two of the best selling trucks in the US for decades, and is truly proven to be "like a rock".

2014 Chevy Silverado
Platform: Truck, GMT 400, 800, & 900

what tranny do i have?

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2010, 11:28 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what tranny do i have?

i have a 1994 w/t 4.3l 1500. i am getting a little hesitation . it feels like a fish biting or tugging. it only happens when running.nothing at idle or no other symptoms. i am trying to see it its maybe the tranny when it shifts or the converter .it is the tranny that has the two D on the dial. does it sounds like anything tranny?. thanks
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

most likely you have the 4l60e trans, tho it sounds like you have a fuel problem. change filter, see if that helps. if not, check fuel pressure. also, might need a full tune-up and air filter.
Old May 14th, 2010, 11:58 AM
CF Beginner

will do. it only has 140.00 miles. the oil is changed regularly, was tuned up 4,000 miles ago. the only weird thing it does every once in a while is that i get a strong gasoline smell. no leaks visible.only a strong smell.my gas mileage has gone down. will check and see. thanks
Old May 14th, 2010, 12:24 PM
CF Veteran

it's very possible it's the fuel pressure regulator, which is inside the throttle body. it can be replaced, and will leak and cause gas smell if it goes out.
Old May 14th, 2010, 2:03 PM
CF Beginner

do i have one?. was checking for the location online,and it is not where is supposed to be.whre should i look?. it is a 4.3 tbi 1994. thanks.the cannister diagram shows a fuel pump pressure valve (if used)in the line,but i guess thats not what i am looking for.all i got in front of tbi are vaccum lines.

ooops. i just realized you said is inside the tbi...sorry.thanks

Last edited by julosibia; May 14th, 2010 at 2:18 PM.
Old May 14th, 2010, 10:42 PM
CF Veteran

ok, just to verify, is it tbi or does it say vortec on top of motor? 93-94 was the switch over period for the 4.3 from tbi to vortec. on tbi, the pressure regulator is inside the throttle body itself, where the fuel lines connect. you can't see it unless you take throttle body apart. on the vortec, it'll be inside the intake manifold, where the fuel lines go in. you have to pull the top have of intake off to get to it.
Old May 20th, 2010, 6:23 PM
CF Beginner

sorry for the delay. the valve covers say vortec on them. the gas line goes in at the back(firewall side), it looks like there is something on the inside there. if i remove the air filter, i see what could be the injectors with cables going to them. i can remove the top part of what i think is the tbi. its basically encircling those injectors there. the reason i ask if it could be tranny is because of this. you take of have the first gear change, have the second gear change then at around 50-55 the tranny releases again and it is at that time just before it releases that the tugging comes.was thinking may be a vaccum or something.like i said, this truck is not used much, it is i really good mechanical condition, and i allways service it. imagine, i bought it in dec.08 with 136,000 miles, today it has 140.000. again the giveaway maybe the strong gas odor sometimes. what should i check and where is located.thanks