Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

2009 Aveo Ignition Problem

Search this Thread

Old May 19th, 2010, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 Aveo Ignition Problem

I've got a 2009 Aveo Hatchback and have a problem starting. I need to hold the key in the start position for about 5 seconds before it starts. I took it to the dealer a few months ago where they couldn't replicate the problem, and now it's happening again. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated.
Old May 19th, 2010, 6:49 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I would have to suggest taking it back to the dealership. If they are unable to fix the vehicle this time you can speak with me in private message and will be glad to help you from there.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 19th, 2010, 7:30 PM
CF Beginner

Its not getting any spark?
Old May 23rd, 2010, 4:33 PM
CF Beginner

Red face It's fixed

I took the car back to the dealer and the new bulletin for this problem was to reprogram the ECM and then synch it with the Anti-Theft System. So far so good.
Old May 31st, 2010, 2:01 PM
CF Beginner

I'm having the exact same issue with my 2009 Aveo (12,000 Kms)... Also, every few starts, the car turns on and then off within a few seconds with the immobilizer light activated.

I've taken it to the same dealership a few times, problem keeps coming back, they blamed it on an aftermarket remote starter... I paid $220 to have GM remove it and the problem is still there...

They have the vehicle today, don't plan on picking it up until they find and correct the issue this time.
Old June 1st, 2010, 1:06 PM
CF Beginner

Default ignition problem also

I have having the same ignition problem and am very frustrated because I have kids to treck all over the country side. I need my car back because if it isn't diagnosed they can't give me a loaner? Never buying Chevy again.
Old June 7th, 2010, 10:07 AM
CF Beginner

Same solution, ECU was repogrammed and synced with immobilizer, works good right now, hopefully continues...

Only advice I have is if you want a remote starter, get it done by GM, it's a bit more, but at least they can't use it as an excuse to void warranty.
Old August 5th, 2010, 2:51 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2009 Aveo Starting Problem

Hello,

I share your frustrations with this car. I bought my 2009 Chevrolet Aveo 5 LT in April 2009 with 13 kms. Since 12500 kms, I have had nothing but PROBLEMS. Some days I go out to start the car and you turn the key and get nothing. It has now been into the shop 6 times, has 23,400 kms on it and is the worst car I have EVER owned. On the 4th attempt for it going to the shop for this issue, I called GM and complained and they said they were looking into it. So, after the 5th attempt at the car being fixed, I got it back and an hour and 15 minutes later same problem. They just took it back in on July 26, 2010 and reprogrammed the immobilizer - apparently a "new fix". My question to them was if this is a "new fix" obviously I'm not the only one with this problem. Prior to this fix they were going to look at buying this car back. The lady I was dealing with now tells me that they "believe this is the fix this time", so if I have one more problem, no more going into the shop, I will call roadside assistance and have them tow the car in at GMs expense, and I will not take the vehicle back into my posession. This car has also had two other issues, one was noise from the stabilizer bar bushings because they were dried out and cracked, so they lubed those. The other problem, which they can't duplicate and only happens once in while is when i get up to about 30kms it acts as if it shifted into neutral, then at about 40kms it finally shifts.
The part that really upsets me is that when I asked for a vehicle history report, the dealership had the same problem at 10kms before i had ever looked at the car. They didn't tell me about it, they just changed the battery and it seemed to work fine until 12, 500kms.
If you want my advice, DON'T BUY GM CARS!!! Your best bet, put a stick of dynamite under the hood, light it, and call it a day. My next vehicle will not be GM.

Last edited by babybeast; August 5th, 2010 at 3:28 PM.
Old August 5th, 2010, 3:03 PM
CF Beginner

Read my message below - same problems, and they have attempted the following fixes and attempts:
1 - could not duplicate, no attempt to fix
2 - Replace Instrument Cluster and Body Control Module and reprogram
3 - (towed in - wouldn't start at all, or lock doors) Replace battery
4 - can't quite remember I will have to look on my records
5 - Reprogram computer
6 - Reprogram anti-theft module

*7 - this car has also had the stabilizer bar bushings lubed because it was making noise

As for the BS line about a remote car starter - I don't have one of those, my remote car starter is called walking out to the car and starting it, or asking my fiance to do it for me.
As you can tell, I really don't have ANY faith in GM fixing this problem any more.

Last edited by babybeast; August 5th, 2010 at 3:26 PM.
Old August 6th, 2010, 8:21 AM
CF Beginner

Default still having problems

I took my car in and finally just took it back from the dealer. I called GM and they basically gave me the run around. The good news is since the weather warmed up I haven't had the ignition problem. The bad news is it's extremely sluggish. Going up hills in Tulsa, Oklahoma my car struggles to go 10mph and won't shift. I have to turn the a/c off before I start the hill or my rpm's shoot up to 5 or 6 at 10mph. I can't wait to get rid of this car. I thought maybe it was my imagination and just having a small engine but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Quick Reply: 2009 Aveo Ignition Problem