Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Oil in reservoir helppp!!!

Search this Thread

Old February 17th, 2016, 4:39 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil in reservoir helppp!!!

Ok this is starting to become very annoying and a huge headache. I have oil continually coming back into my reservoir its filling my coolant with oil. Head gasket has been changed, radiator, reservoir bottle, heater and rad hoses have all been changed and its still getting oil from somewhere. The oil on stick still is in normal range when checked so where is this coming from. There was a test performed by firestone to see if there where leaks in the system and they say nothing showed up they think its oil still in system. So took everything off ran water thru heater core and radiator etc for about an hour. Problem still exists so now I am puzzled to what is the next step? Could it still be oil trapped in the system somewhere as much oil in this reservoir its crazy. If you do the radiator flush stuff how much to put in and how long to leave it in there drive it with it in there?? UGGHH!! FRUSTRATING!!!
Old February 17th, 2016, 6:03 AM
CF Monarch

Received 337 Likes on 318 Posts

I don't think there could be that much oil trapped in a small engine. Other possibilities are a bad intake gasket, cracked head or block. Who changed the head gasket? Did they torque thew bolts correctly?
Old February 17th, 2016, 7:59 AM
CF Beginner

Question Oil/coolant

I had the heads taken to a machine shop so they were not cracked thank GOD he put on a new gasket. He is a mechanic so he say he torqued the bolts down IDK cause I was not there to see it. Its crazy for so much oil to fill back into the reservoir like that. Maybe it needs to go back and retorque the bolts? He says he dont see anything leaking from the gasket if it was a leak you will see it. Is that true? IDK at this point it looks like he may be going back into the motor and retorque the bolts again. Do you have a diagram of the torque order for the heads? Please post thanks?
Old February 17th, 2016, 8:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

year, engine, model....post pics of the oil filled reservoir.
Old February 17th, 2016, 10:59 AM
CF Beginner

Default oil/coolant

2009 chevrolet aveo LT 1.6

I think I uploaded them right if not I will try again
Attachments_2016217.zip
Old February 22nd, 2016, 4:21 AM
CF Active Member

Are you seeing evidence of coolant in the oil ?

God bless
Wyr
Old February 22nd, 2016, 1:43 PM
CF Veteran

cant really say I see anything bad from the pics but about the only way to get oil in the coolant would be from a cracked head or block or bad head gasket. Usually you see coolant in the oil first but that can vary.
Old February 22nd, 2016, 2:16 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the source of the oil to coolant leak is not found now with the head off. I recommend replace the head now.

Oil in an oil galley with 80 PSI pressure can leak thought a crack to the cooling system with a max pressure of 15 PSI. Keep in mind your concern is an oil leak, not a coolant leak. So coolant leak test likely will not find the source of the oil leaking to the cooling system

Each time the head is off requires new gasket and bolts (TTY). Longer exposer to oil, the rubber parts in the cooling system will be damaged. including: hoses, radiator tank seals, water pump and any seals for the thermostat and heater core. Flush cooling system with water and dish washer detergent (not dish soap)

Also be sure the oil restrictor is installed just under the head gasket center of the left side (radiator side) of the block.
Old February 23rd, 2016, 4:23 AM
CF Beginner

Exclamation Oil in reservoir HELP!!

No evidence of water in oil at all the oil dip stick is still at the line and no signs of water at all.

There was another guy who told me some part that is under the manifold was the issue it separates oil and water. Only thing I can find is this other part but it says it separate the air and oil???

So even if the car is not running hot at all. Its running great no hesitation no stall no anything there could still be a crack or something or head gasket still??

Only issue is the fan if I try to run the fan alone it kicks on but only on slow so when you stop the car all the pressure is inside the bottle and more oil seems to come to the top when you remove the cap it all comes pouring out. If I turn the fan on thru a direct wire to it then it don't do that the bottle has to be filled like half way with coolant and then after driven for about a day or two you will start to see all this oil just on top and water on bottom.

SO best thing is re tear down? Mechanics I been to don't seem to want to deal with it tear it down and search for the problem and its my only mode of transportation and its becoming frustrating. They all seem to not know or find an excuse to not deal with it.

One mechanic advised flush with a machine instead of by hand well took it to a shop and they did it by machine and it all came back again.

I never heard of an oil restrictor hmm?

Is there not a test that can be done on the block or oil or somewhere to determine the issue without tearing it back down so far no one wants to deal with the it dealer dont even know or want to be bothered either.
Old February 24th, 2016, 9:52 AM
CF Beginner

Question oil/coolant

So huge concern when motor overheated and heads and gasket where changed could the oil restrictor damage stop the oil flow and cause the back up of oil to mix with the water????

Quick Reply: Oil in reservoir helppp!!!