Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Oil in reservoir helppp!!!

Search this Thread

Old January 16th, 2018, 6:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your car is automatic or manual transmission?? If you have an automatic transmission, check your automatic oil and if there’s a leak thats come from oil cooler inside the radiator and you should change your radiator with a new one
Old July 7th, 2020, 1:20 PM
CF Beginner

Default Possible solution

Originally Posted by urdreamlady
Ok this is starting to become very annoying and a huge headache. I have oil continually coming back into my reservoir its filling my coolant with oil. Head gasket has been changed, radiator, reservoir bottle, heater and rad hoses have all been changed and its still getting oil from somewhere. The oil on stick still is in normal range when checked so where is this coming from. There was a test performed by firestone to see if there where leaks in the system and they say nothing showed up they think its oil still in system. So took everything off ran water thru heater core and radiator etc for about an hour. Problem still exists so now I am puzzled to what is the next step? Could it still be oil trapped in the system somewhere as much oil in this reservoir its crazy. If you do the radiator flush stuff how much to put in and how long to leave it in there drive it with it in there?? UGGHH!! FRUSTRATING!!!
I have a customer with exactly the same problem. this cars have an engine oil coler where the gaskets get bad and then you have oil goimg in to the coolant. This is oocated right behind the catalityc converter. Remove the front bumper, radiator and everything kn front so you can have a good acces to the cataliryc converter. Remove this one and then u will get acced to the cooler. Remove it, open it and fix it or just replaced it. Let me know. Good luck!
Old April 1st, 2022, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

its the seals in the oil cooler. they are known to go bad.