Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

Thermostat problems (P0597)

Search this Thread

Old June 22nd, 2017, 6:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Not trying to sound like a wise guy or any thing . But it sounds like Chevy replaced a defective GM part with another defective GM part ( made in Korea ) .

Were it me , I would replace it myself with an aftermarket part ( hopefully made in USA ) . And hope that really had it fixed .

Best of luck with it .

God bless
Wyr
I'd agree that it seems like Chevrolet is either replacing a defective part with another defective part -- or something else on the car is causing this part to fail.

But, it is/should be covered under the PowerTrain Warranty and thus should cost no money and none of your time (aside from taking it into the dealership). Plus, if it happens again, I'd rather have Chevrolet have its repair history and not have to replace it again myself when Chevrolet could/should replace it. Ultimately, Chevrolet should determine a permanent fix -- as once the PowerTrain Warranty expires, people are on their own for something that is a widespread and known issue. (My Service Department had a Cruze in the same day for the same exact issue and admitted that they've seen this issue often.)
Old June 22nd, 2017, 6:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by AJSpark
In June of 2016, I had several issues w/ our 2013 Spark. 1 of those issues was P0597 thrown. Took it to a Chevrolet dealership. This is what was written on the service invoice
found code p0597 engine heater control circuit and tested for power and ground at the sensor after commanding on with mdi. both were present the sensor tested bad. replaced thermostat housing topped off coolant cleared engine light and road tested vehicle
We did not have to pay for this.

Fast forward to a couple days ago, I began hearing a very high pitched whine (off and on). It would make the sound when turning the key to accessory without turning the engine over -- so possibly fuel pump? Anyway, besides that sound, a day later CEL came on. Scanned it today on the way to Chevrolet dealership -- P0597 again. Almost a year later! Waiting to hear back from the dealer for an official diagnosis and next steps.
Following up here as we have received the car back. Issue was identified to be the same cause/replacement as the aforementioned issue almost a year ago to the week. All work, including diagnosis, was covered under the PowerTrain Warranty (for the second time). We paid nothing.

This is what was written on the service invoice this time (verbatim -- spelling errors included ):
checked with scan tool malfunction on ground control circute of thermistat heater checked for shorts to ground and voltige supply on wires all was fine so deduced that the senore was shorting to ground removed and replaced with new housing and sensor ran dtc and passed
FWIW: I asked for clarification on replacing the "thermostat" vs. "thermostat housing". The Service Advisor stated that "you cannot replace just the thermostat -- you have to replace the entire housing."

Folks, don't pay for this repair. It should be covered by the PowerTrain Warranty. Fight it -- go to Chevrolet Corporate. The real problem for us is going to be once the PowerTrain Warranty expires (for us, that's 5 years this Fall).

Last edited by AJSpark; June 22nd, 2017 at 6:15 PM.
Old June 23rd, 2017, 3:46 AM
CF Active Member

This is a pattern fault with Aveo and Sonic .

Ours is a 2015 . Hope they had it fixed by that model year .

Think the GM part is black plastic .

Here is a photo of a Gates brand part , made from metal

http://www.rockauto.com/info/64/34710-5_TOP_A__ra_t.jpg

God bless
Wyr
Old November 9th, 2017, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

I just brought my 2013 Sonic RS Turbo to the dealership, as my car was not giving me any heat through the fans. I couldn't see out my front window as the defogger was not working properly. After reading this forum, I thought for sure I was going to get a call back from the dealer that the thermostat needed to be replaced. To my surprise, they discovered a fine crack in my radiator that was causing a slow coolant leak, and they're asking $1,500 to replace the radiator. They had to fill the radiator with over a gallon of coolant. How is this even possible on a four year old car with less than 50,000 miles and no accidents? I've never seen any sign of a leak in the parking space I use. Ahhh! I'd pay whatever it takes to replace the thermostat over this radiator madness!
Old November 10th, 2017, 3:30 AM
CF Active Member

Rockauto.com shows an AC Delco radiator , shipped to Chicago for about $ 230.00 .

Were it me , I would shop around a little & change it myself .

Best of luck to you , :-)
Wyr
God bless
Old November 10th, 2017, 9:57 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by WyrTwister
Rockauto.com shows an AC Delco radiator , shipped to Chicago for about $ 230.00 .

Were it me , I would shop around a little & change it myself .

Best of luck to you , :-)
Wyr
God bless
I would love to be able to buy a $230 radiator and replace it myself, but I'm not a mechanic nor do I have tools. I was just quite surprised that it was radiator giving me issues so early in its life. I have only 28,000 miles on my four year old car. I drove my Corolla in Chicago for almost 10 years, and I never had radiator issues.

Thank you for checking, though.

Have a good weekend.
Old November 11th, 2017, 4:57 AM
CF Active Member

Go to a radiator shop & check their pricing .

For the cost difference between $ 1500 and $ 230 , you can buy a fair amount of tooling , even if you buy name brand . Even more if you go to Harbor Freight .

Check YouTube for videos of this repair .

But , no matter what you decide , best of luck to you .

If I were close , I would offer to help , But I am about 1,150 miles away .

Wyr
God bless
Old December 20th, 2017, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Don Ladouceur
OMG. Replace the thing yourself. It's $39. What is the matter with people these days??
Where did you find the part for $39? From my understanding, you can't just replace one or the other you have to replace the thermostat and the housing together. Cheers
Old January 15th, 2018, 5:18 PM
CF Beginner

I bought a 2013 Chevy Sonic standard sedan new a few years back, when I got to about 60000 miles I started getting this code, thermostat open etc.. I am now almost 2 yrs since the first time it showed this code with the engine light on and my husband is currently changing the 7th thermostat. Luckily there are warranties on parts since this thermostat costs over $100. Why is this continuing to happen? Has anyone else had this problem over and over again like I have? Other than this I have had no other issues with my car, no overheating no under-heating etc. Every time we have checked the thermostat we take out, the O ring is bad and is not sealing. Does anyone have any answers, ideas etc. We are at a loss and Chevy seems to have no clue about this but if you google it there are a lot of people having problems with the 2012 through 2013 thermostat... Please help!!!!
Old January 16th, 2018, 8:53 AM
CF Active Member

Common problem , but probably not to the extent you are having .

If we ever have this problem on our 2015 1.8l , I will probably choose to use a metal replacement part . Get everything clean , then rub coolant on the o-ring / gasket and the sealing surfaces . Tighten properly .

Fill with new coolant . Install belt and any thing else you removed .

Check the oil level . Would be tempted to change oil / filter at that time .

Fire it up & check for leaks & codes .

Wyr
God bless

Quick Reply: Thermostat problems (P0597)