Sonic (Aveo) The subcompact known globally as the Aveo since 2002 is now the SONIC in North America as of the 2012 model

Chevrolet Sonic
GM Platform: T200, T250, T300

What can I do to not waste anymore money trying to get my engine light off.

Old May 10th, 2018, 5:56 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What can I do to not waste anymore money trying to get my engine light off.

My 2011 Chevy Cruze got a new thermostat 11 months ago. Now all of a sudden I have two error codes. P0597 and P0598. I took it to my mechanic and he said that this happens with a lot of Chevy Cruze's and it has to be taken care of at the dealership. I took it to the dearlership spent $75 to get the diagnosis that I already had the codes for. They wouldn't accept my codes to try to make my repair cheaper. They came up with that I needed a new thermostat and wanted to charge me $300 more above the diagnosis to put one in. I called my regular mechanic who says its not the thermostat. He said he would have never sent me to the dealership if it was. What do I do? I can't afford this and just want it fixed so I can trade it in.
Old May 11th, 2018, 2:21 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by GBV6G0
My 2011 Chevy Cruze got a new thermostat 11 months ago. Now all of a sudden I have two error codes. P0597 and P0598. I took it to my mechanic and he said that this happens with a lot of Chevy Cruze's and it has to be taken care of at the dealership. I took it to the dearlership spent $75 to get the diagnosis that I already had the codes for. They wouldn't accept my codes to try to make my repair cheaper. They came up with that I needed a new thermostat and wanted to charge me $300 more above the diagnosis to put one in. I called my regular mechanic who says its not the thermostat. He said he would have never sent me to the dealership if it was. What do I do? I can't afford this and just want it fixed so I can trade it in.

Might be your coolant temperature sensor is bad, or there is corrosion on some of the electrical wires or connectors. These new cars all seem to have everything tied into the ECM, including the thermostat, Wires and connectors corrode and set off the CEL, since the ECM isn't receiving the proper input signal.