Suspension & Tire Is your ride slammed to the ground? Did you lift it so high you need a ladder to get in? Got sleek low-pros or gnarly mudders? Step in and let's talk about 'em!

Tire size and gas mileage differences

Search this Thread

Old February 26th, 2012, 8:52 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tire size and gas mileage differences

Hey i was just wondering what the gas mileage difference would be going from each size of tire such as 285, 305, 33x12.5 and 35x12.5 just to get a rough idea.
Old February 27th, 2012, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Default Effects of a Larger Tire

Greetings chevy619, welcome to the Forum !

From the list you have provided, you imply putting a larger tire on your vehicle. There are several effects in doing this...

Differential in your Speedometer Reading...
Your speedometer will read a slower mph than what you're actually going.

A Reduction in perceived Braking Power...
From some to a great extent, you will have to apply more pressure to the Pedal, to get your vehicle to stop.

A Reduction of Engine Power...
You will have to apply more throttle to get things going.

That being said, I can not tell you that you will absolutely realize a reduction in Gas Mileage, but, 99% of the time, that usually is the case. The reason for these negative effects, is an increased distance/fulcrum between the Center Line of the Axel, and the Surface of the Road. Your individual Driving Habit, can influence the effect to a large extent.

But, there are some positive tradeoffs...

More Rubber on the Road, generally means Better Traction...
Again, your ability to apply the Brakes not withstanding, and this "traction" mostly applying to when it is Dry. But, often times a larger tire will cause Hydroplaning to some extent. So the traction is selective, and has a lot to do with the Tread on the Tires as well.

Increase in the Load Carrying Capacity (proper width Rims required)...
With a larger Tire, greater Loads can usually be applied/carried. But having correctly sized Rims, are vital to this. The sidewalls of a Tire were intended to operate in a Vertical line, and varying the rim width (either narrower or wider) can negate, and seriously detract from this. And, the Loading capability may be reduced, when a lower Profile Tire is installed.

Functionality...
When encountering Sand, Mud, Rock, Snow or Ice, having the right set of Tires on your vehicle can mean getting home or NOT ! Oftentimes, when the operator is aware of the scope of problems which a large Tire causes, and compensates for those, having a "dedicated" set of tires can be a great advantage.

The Appearance (usually the most popular reason)...
What can I say, having a nice gnarly set of tires on your ride, does have an appealing effect !

Last edited by SWHouston; February 27th, 2012 at 11:32 AM.
Old March 4th, 2012, 3:15 PM
CF Active Member

I would only go 4" lift if i even decide to lift it. So would go a max of a 33x12.5 and i figure if i get the blackbearperfomance tune country_09 suggests my gas mileage would probably stay about the same. Just curious if anyone had any personal experience with the loss in gas mileage they got.