Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

03 suburban blend door

Search this Thread

Old October 27th, 2020, 9:30 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 03 suburban blend door

Hello did a quick search didn't find what i was looking for so i thought i would ask
Ok so i have an issue with heat constant on driver side passenger side works fine hot at hot cold at cold
So got new blend door actuator and after i got old one out i thought i would try it first plugged it in and nothing no movement ?
anyone got any ideas old one doesn't move either
Old October 27th, 2020, 10:20 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts

I replaced similar on our 2005 Yukon, used a Dorman crossover part. I had to use an initialization protocol I found online, and it has worked fine.
Old October 27th, 2020, 10:23 AM
CF Junior Member

protocol?
Old October 27th, 2020, 10:29 AM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

Did you check for power and grounds at the plug in to the actuator? You may also have a problem with the control head in the dash.
Old October 27th, 2020, 10:30 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts

I purchased a new actuator, and just reinstalled back into vehicle. You will want to make sure the door is positioned the same as the actuator arrives by rotating the arm in the vehicle to line up, NOT THE ACTUATOR. DON'T ADJUST ACTUATOR ITSELF, LEAVE THE WAY YOU PURCHASED. Mine was set in the middle. http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...0/DSC02402.jpg

If you buy a new actuator, you need to make sure the part numbers match because they make many different styles of these actuators for different vehicles and climate controls. Mine may differ from yours so don't base my part number on what you need to buy.

Now here is the tricky part that I had to research. Thanks to a site called Sparky's Answers, I was able to figure this all out and pass it onto everyone here. Now supposedly if you have a scan tool you can adjust and calibrate the actuator thru the scan tool. Since I don't, he also gave information on how to calibrate without a scan tool. So here ya go. First once you get actuator, new or used, make sure it can not move( I mean the metal know shouldn't be able to move by hand and differently don't move with pliers), if so, it is probably bad, if not go ahead and install the way it comes, and reconnect wiring. Then you will disconnect the battery for at least 30 seconds. Then reconnect battery, turn the ignition to the ON position for at least 1 minute, but he suggested 3-4 minutes so that's what I did, and DO NOT TOUCH THE A/C CONTROLS!!! You will then turn ignition to the OFF position for at least 10 seconds, then start the engine and confirm the new actuator is working correctly by turning the climate **** from cold to hot. If all was done correctly it will work!! I checked the actuator by being on the passenger side, turning ignition on, moving climate ****, and sticking my head under dash to watch for the actuator to move.

I had read somewhere on the internets that pressing the #1 seat position setting resets the A/C computer, and I guess that is what has fixed it. I say fixed it, in that it is now blowing cold air, and since it's 90F here, I'm not going to experiment with the A/C controls any further.
The following users liked this post:
PNW NBS Z71 (October 27th, 2020)
Old October 27th, 2020, 11:15 AM
CF Junior Member

ok this has 5 pins so how can i find out what controls what i will try battery
someone said to pull fuse for 4minutes and then turn ign didn't work
Old October 27th, 2020, 11:32 AM
CF Junior Member

ok i just tried the battery thing and nothing i hear passenger side working
i even left actuator off laying on floor to see if it moved nothing
so how would i check head unit?
Oh and thanks for all your info !!!
Old October 27th, 2020, 12:52 PM
CF Junior Member

Exclamation still looking

ok i hooked a test light up to plug on actuator i did get a hot lead but when to look at others nothing i took both units inside and hooked a 12 volt bat to each one and got no response ?
so i took old one apart and hooked a bat to motor and it worked rotated all the way had to switch leads to get motor to spin back wards but got nothing when hooked to any pins on either unit
i am at a loss right now
Old October 27th, 2020, 1:03 PM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

What brand of actuator did you get? If it's a Dorman, I hate their crap. It is just that, crap most of the time. I am also at another Tahoe and Yukon forum and there are many horror stories of inferior quality parts from them.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...412198&jsn=936 or this https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...412198&jsn=937 could be the problem but if you are unsure, before spending the money, I would have a trained qualified tech check your problem. I believe there are 3 actuators under the front dash and you need to be sure you are addressing the right actuator.

Old October 27th, 2020, 1:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Exclamation

AA ignition got on amazon had really good reviews

Quick Reply: 03 suburban blend door