Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

04 Sub - Major Coolant BURST !! Help.....

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2012, 6:37 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by delta579
Water pump gasket ? Mine corroded and started seeping coolant. If yours blew out a good portion of the gasket it may do what you describe. Water pump backing plate could also be bad.
Do you guys think a good plan of action would be to replace the gasket and backing plate and see if that's it> then next change the water pump itself? Since it all leaks out without the engine running would that predict a blown seal or gasket?
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:09 AM
CF Active Member

Replace the water pump and quit dicking around. To repair the pump and wait for it to fail again is taking a big chance for high dollar repairs.
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:48 AM
CF Beginner

Hi again --> spoke to a guy at my local autozone, he thinks the water pump problem is unlikely since all of the coolant leaks right out when the engine is off. He said if its a gasket leak or seal problem it wouldnt be rushing out like that..

He suggested to check the freeze plugs and/or the thermostat housing. Anyone in agreement?
Old November 7th, 2012, 10:49 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by JimJ
Replace the water pump and quit dicking around. To repair the pump and wait for it to fail again is taking a big chance for high dollar repairs.
Thanks for the response Jim. Do you think its the water pump since the fluid is gushing out even when the engine is off?
Old November 7th, 2012, 11:27 AM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

The most likely thing is the W/P but w/o seeing it, it's hard to tell. Post a video on Youtube.
Old November 7th, 2012, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
The most likely thing is the W/P but w/o seeing it, it's hard to tell. Post a video on Youtube.
Good idea Shark... thanks man Im going to tow it home tonight and I'll be able to spend some more time with it... I removed the radiator shroud and couple hoses so far. Gonna pull the fan off and hopefully we can get a better look at it.
Old November 7th, 2012, 3:56 PM
CF Active Member

Get someone to fill it while you are watching under the hood and maybe you can locate the leaj when it starts. Good luck.
Old November 7th, 2012, 5:07 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Judging from the picture, it dosent look like it has any of the short stubby rubber hoses like some water pumps do... It could have been a gasket blow out, but I would think that you would have been leaking coolant before the blow out...
Were you adding fluid to it prior to?
Attached Thumbnails 04 Sub - Major Coolant BURST !! Help.....-2004-waterpump.jpg  
Old November 7th, 2012, 8:24 PM
Administrator

Received 158 Likes on 156 Posts

I'm betting on the water pump shaft seal as that is what always failed on my vehicles.
Old November 8th, 2012, 2:08 AM
CF Beginner

Check the radiator tanks. It sounds like you've already checked everything else. They're only plastic and more than likely one has cracked or even separated from the core. The radiator in my '99 Tahoe just cracked open. It cracked high on the driver's side right around the connection for the upper transmission line. It was a big crack too - about 3 inches long. I tried running the truck with the radiator cap half off so it wouldn't build pressure and force the fluid out, but the water would drip out at atmospheric pressure. I ended up getting a used four-core off a guy on Craig's List for $50.

Quick Reply: 04 Sub - Major Coolant BURST !! Help.....