Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

04 Sub - Major Coolant BURST !! Help.....

Search this Thread

Old November 8th, 2012, 8:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flyboy3633
Check the radiator tanks. It sounds like you've already checked everything else. They're only plastic and more than likely one has cracked or even separated from the core. The radiator in my '99 Tahoe just cracked open. It cracked high on the driver's side right around the connection for the upper transmission line. It was a big crack too - about 3 inches long. I tried running the truck with the radiator cap half off so it wouldn't build pressure and force the fluid out, but the water would drip out at atmospheric pressure. I ended up getting a used four-core off a guy on Craig's List for $50.
Thanks for all the replies gents, really appreciate it. I dont think its the rad b/c the water/coolant is flowing from near the engine block not up toward the front by radiator. The tow home last night didnt go as planned (wife was panicking b/c she couldnt turn the steering wheel).and when i say panicking the car wasnt even halfway out the parking spot yet, literally...... heading back tonight with my brother which I should have done in the 1st place..LOL.. I'll report back soon.

Thanks again to all of you for your help.
Old November 10th, 2012, 3:01 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE:

Well, I fixed the leak boys. Replaced the water pump, and thermostat since I had it open. Filled with coolant and it held, no leak.

Very proud of myself having never diagnosed/repaired anything like this before. I must say this has sparked an interest in doing more repairs/maint. myself.

thanks to this forum for all your suggestions and help.

Last edited by Norbit; November 11th, 2012 at 7:32 PM.