Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

05 Suburban- 4wd light and dealership $$$

Old June 28th, 2011, 8:18 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 05 Suburban- 4wd light and dealership $$$

Took the burb on a long trip ( NC to Jersey and back) and on the way back the SVC 4wd light came on (about 171500 miles). Cleared/acknowledged it and it would stay off until I restarted the trk, then come back on after a bit, everything is working fine though. Got home...checked xfer case fluid. Level OK but went ahead and changed it anyway ( used correct fluid from dealership). Light still comes on. Checked level in front diff, little low so I topped it off. Light still comes on. Went to Advance ( with the light on) but they couldn't read any codes. Took it into the dealer, they pulled the codes ( will post them later, dont have the reciept with me) and said that my control module and encoder motor(?) were going bad and it would cost me $1300.00 to fix it. Not saying it isn't true but I find this a little hard to believe. Had them put it back together, paid the $120 diagnostic fee, and here we are. Drove it all weekend and the message has not come back up since.

I am going to take the module/switch from the dash next and check it like I read on here somewhere. Just wanted to get some opinions/input from you guys on here since you probably have more knowledge/ experience than I do. Any input/info is always appreciated......

thanks,
Tom
Old June 28th, 2011, 4:07 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

It could be when they took it apart some of the parts got cleaned up and the errors may take some time to come back...
Old June 28th, 2011, 6:26 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4wd Light

I had the same problem on my 03 sub. The day after I took it in to the dealer for it's 36,000 service the "service 4wd" comes on! I was pissed. Thought they trying to rip me off. Talked to my brother and found out that there is a ground around the oil filter and they must have bumped it. Light went off and has not come on for 60,000 more miles.
Crash