Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

07 Hood protector

Search this Thread

Old September 6th, 2007, 2:48 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 07 Hood protector

I've go to go with SNOMON on this one... I ordered the factory white for my Summit White '07 and didn't even install it. I forked out about another $150.00 and had a 3M Clear bra applied to the hood, headlights, grill, behind the headlights on the front fender, on theside mirrors andbehind the wheel wells in both front and back. I think overall I spent about $300.00 w/ tax. It looks absolutely stock and is protected front to back w/ a lifetime warranty. I wasn't taking a chanceon letting my white truck getting all pock marked. Find a reputable shop and they will do a great job. Use this link to find one in your area:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...ind_Installer/
Old September 8th, 2007, 1:53 PM
CF Active Member

Anyone else having issues with the front mounting point on the bug guard cracking? I am on my 3rd bug guard because of the cracks. The dealer is cool about replacing it, but it is annoying.
Old September 8th, 2007, 2:23 PM
CF Senior Member

None so far, is your deflector OEM?
Old September 8th, 2007, 6:44 PM
CF Active Member

Do you take your Tahoe through automated car washes with gravity air dryers? I work for a company that has facilities with car washes and we get a lot of the plastic bug guards broken off from the dry cycle. Just a thought.
Old September 9th, 2007, 12:34 AM
CF Senior Member

I bring my suburban to a car wash that uses the air dryer that blows so hard it lifts the windshield wipers up off the window and shakes them around. The car wash also uses the soft cloth strips that wash/wipe/sweep the soap all over the truck. I have not had a problem yet and I bring my truck to the car wash every week, sometimes twice a week. Like I said before, my deflector has 5 mounting brackets and its solid, very solid.
I used to bring the suburban to a hands free car wash, but they can never seem to get the roof really clean, this is why I use the car wash with the brush.
Old September 9th, 2007, 9:49 AM
CF Active Member

Good ideas about the car wash, we have used those at times, but for the most part, I hand wash it. It is an OEM dealer installed bug shield. I went out to take a picture to show you where it is breaking and guess what, it is broken again, so I guess it is time to go get another one. Like I said earlier, this is the third one. It looks aligned, but that is the only thing I think that would keep breaking them is if that bracket is not straight.

[IMG]local://upfiles/4167/5153EC32299449A486F518C364761748.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/4167/91F5FD4A3B3F42FDB5D22BC7A42A5495.jpg[/IMG]
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:50 AM
CF Senior Member

Hum, are you over tightening it? Next one you install try and put a little rubber grommet between the screw and the deflector, if you can fit one more grommet then place another one between the deflector and the bracket. When you tighten it, do it like an oil filter, tighten it to snug then 1/4 more turn. You may want to use some lock-tite on the screw so it doesn't back out.

Another thing you may want to look at, close the hood but do not lock it.

Lift the hood without lifting the latch to fully open the hood.

Take a look in side where the tip of the hood is and see if you can see anything that may hit the hood when fully closed?

You may need a flash light to see.

If there is nothing hitting the hood in that spot, then the gorilla that is tightening the screw needs to let up on his grip a little.
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:58 AM
CF Active Member

Yeah, I will do some investigating and see what I can find. I have been letting the dealership deal with it so that the warranty covers it.
Old September 9th, 2007, 1:12 PM
e
CF Senior Member

looks as if the oem shield is made by LUND. Im willing to bet that its being overtighten like 07summitwhite is suggesting. Also check and make sure they have installed the clear strips between the painted surface and the bracket. These are famous to cause paint damage if the area where the bracket meets the paint is not protected by the clear strips. This also includeds on the backside of the hood. When you get it warrantied out make sure they replace the brackets and tape and also watch them to see if they install the shield with a hand screwdrive. No powertools..........Good Luck....

We stop selling the Lund shield on the 07 gmt's due to the brackets shifting and as well as shields cracking.....
Old September 9th, 2007, 1:57 PM
CF Active Member

It has the clear strips under each bracket, I think I will loc tite it in there loose, to hold it in place, but not tight enough to crack it.