Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

08 suburban ltz ac fuse keeps blowing

Search this Thread

Old Yesterday, 8:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 suburban ltz ac fuse keeps blowing

Good evening!

I have an 08 suburban ltz with rear air (rear system has been bypassed for years)

So last year I replaced my ac compressor it started blowing the fuse as soon as you pushed the snowflake button with a used known good oem unit. It worked for a couple months the boom same issue. Went to the auto parts store and have put two new units in since with the same issue. (Works for a bit then out of nowhere starts blowing fuses)

If I disconnect the compressor it doesn't blow the fuse if I add a substituted load (light) the light lights up and the fuse doesn't blow. Could I really have that many bad compressors?

Does anyone have a wire diagram?

Tia for any help!
Robert
Old Yesterday, 8:56 PM
Administrator

Received 167 Likes on 165 Posts

Welcome to the forum. I suspect the new compressors come with a new clutch assembly already on them. If so then we can rule out a clutch coil that's failing on your old compressor. A light is not going to provide the same load as a clutch coil. You need to measure the resistance of a clutch coil and then use a substitute resistor of that value for a load.
Old Yesterday, 9:21 PM
CF Beginner

73shark thanks for the reply.

The only tools i have available atm are a power probe 3 and some basic hand tools and my ac gauges and vacuum pump.

I will have to find a cheap multi meter I just moved and all of my tools are in storage while i wait for my new house to finish being built.

I am in Tuscan AZ so going without air is not an option for me.

Old Yesterday, 11:02 PM
Administrator

You can get a reasonably good multimeter at Harbor Freight for around $10 to $25.
Old Yesterday, 11:36 PM
CF Beginner

Ok so an update:

so since i am at work i have had time to think about this problem. I decided to go outside on my lunch remove the fender cover and unplug the compressor and of course the fuse doesn't blow. i plugged it back in boom instantly blows.....I wiggle the harness put a new fuse she has working air. So I guess she had a short to ground.....now to find it.

I ordered reset able fuses and a multimeter from Amazon will be here tomorrow. wish me luck finding this short.
Old Today, 12:58 AM
Administrator

Resettable guess aka circuit breaker? Which side of the firewall was the suspect harness on?
Old Today, 1:22 AM
CF Beginner

Lol yes a circuit breaker.

The suspect harness is the main engine harness more specifically the leg of the harness that goes to the ac compressor.