Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

100k mile Tune Up 2007 5.3L

Search this Thread

Old March 13th, 2014, 9:39 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
You could check the sending unit with an ohm meter. But you are probably right, its probably shot.
I finally got an ohm meter on the sending unit (three prong type) and could only get a low and variable reading off of two prongs. The remaining prong (which appeared to be one of the positives) would never give a reading.

I popped in a new sending unit
Now the gauge is operating normal again.
Old May 27th, 2015, 5:48 PM
CF Beginner

In2Pro, on your 100,000 list of items the wires say 748RR. The ones I've gotten say 9748RR. Everything else are right but the wire set. Just wandering if I've got the right ones or a return is in order.
Old May 28th, 2015, 11:30 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
I got started on her this morning as the weather has been really nice here the past week, a couple of Starbucks refreshers Valencia Orange and I was good to go ...

The first thing I want to point out is that the #8 as everyone knows is a PITA, I have little doubt that some folks that pay to have this done(tune up), are paying for 8 plugs but only getting 7 done...

I started with the #8 knowing it is the absolute hardest one to do, I would recommend that anyone doing their own, start with #8 to get it done and out of the way.

I pulled the front wheel off to do the even number plugs (2-8), I thought it made access to #8 a bit easier as I was able to sit at the spark plug level and get both hands in at times. (1-7, I did from the top)

I used a pair of needle nose pliers to grip the #8 boot and leverage it against the exhaust manifold (you want to do this on a cold engine) and the boot came right off no struggles

You can easily see the #8 from under the vehicle but you can't really get any tools up that way due to the starter/catalyst/exhaust in the way, again I went at it from the wheel well and its still a PITA but it beat trying to lay or bend over into the engine bay and try and get around the A/C lines.

After removing the spark plug wires, give the area around the exposed spark plug a shot of compressed air to remove any debris that might fall into the spark plug hole when the plug is removed, this is really important if you live or have been in a sandy area, you really don't want grains of sand in the cylinder, or risk getting gunk on the spark plug threads and galling up the threads in an aluminum head

I found it easier to prep my work, I gap checked 4 plugs and set them aside, if you need to adj the gap, I would recommend a small pair of needle nose pliers to adjust the ground electrode, as you don't want to risk damaging the center electrode.

I used a q-tip to coat the inside of 4 of the new wires spark plug boot, plug side, with the supplied silicone lubricant, this makes the boot easier to go on and come back off if needed. I cleaned and buffed (yeah they look sweet, polished) the boot heat shields and re-installed them on the new plug wires.

When installing the new boot over the plug, listen and feel for the "click" of the connector going over and onto the spark plug tip, same goes for the coil end, you should feel and hear a confirming click... If you don't feel it I would recommend taking it off and test fitting it on a plug. The reason I say this is once you fire up the engine and you find you have a miss due to a poorly connected wire, that engine will be a hot SOB already, and you don't want to have to jack with trying to get it seated on right...just sayin'

Pointers/Reminders
*If you drop a spark plug while trying to install it, recheck the gap
*Use the silicone lube on the boot, if its not included get some.
*OHM out the new wire set before installing, it only takes a few minutes to save yourself the headache of a poorly assembled plug wire.
* There is a torque spec for the plugs, but there was not way in heck, I could get a torque wrench on more then 2 may 3 of the plugs... get them snug but not over tight...
* Do not use anti-seize on the threads as it can reduce the electrical conductivity of the plug to ground and cause over tightening of the plug..

I just changed the plugs and wires on my 03 Suburban. Bought it last week with 215K on it. I found that if you remove the engine oil dipstick tube (one bolt and pull) it makes getting to that rear plug so much easier. If you reinstall the tube before you install the center two plug wires you can get a flashlight in there to see the hole. Makes it much easier. You will want to ensure the o-ring didn't fall off the tube before you reinstall it.

For the driver's side bank I removed the wheel and the plastic inner fender. Then the plugs are right in your face!

My 2 cents; perhaps it will help someone out.
Old May 28th, 2015, 12:24 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old May 28th, 2015, 3:42 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by GunnyV
In2Pro, on your 100,000 list of items the wires say 748RR. The ones I've gotten say 9748RR. Everything else are right but the wire set. Just wandering if I've got the right ones or a return is in order.
As best I can tell from the the two descriptions, the 74's are OEM, the 97's appear to be a replacement, I have not been able to find specifics on the specs of each one, I would speculate the 9748RR is an "equivalent" replacement.
Where as the 748RR are the exact ones my truck came with, down to the marking on the jacket...

ACDelco 9748RR Professional Spark Plug Wire Set Price: $32.72
ACDelco 748RR GM Original Equipment Spark Plug Wire Set Price: $66.27
Old May 28th, 2015, 8:20 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

I'm a firm believer in you get what you pay for. I will also admit that I have to relearn that lesson periodically.
Old May 29th, 2015, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

O'Reillys only shows the 9748RR, they have no other except for a set of high performance Ones. Also they show list as 59.99$ not 32.99. When I get them I will need to take a close look at them as I do not want a less Quality product on the SUV. Thanks for the reply. If they are different I may have to buy them from Chevy (159.99) to insure correct replacement.
Old May 29th, 2015, 10:00 AM
Administrator

I found the prices on Amazon and RockAuto, where both about the same.. I suspect the $59.99 is O'Reillys mark up..In the grand scheme of things, its likely to be the only set of wires you buy for the vehicle, so as long as the quality appears to be acceptable I wouldn't fret it too much.
If you have a set of calipers check the thickness of the wires, I suspect that is where you are likely to see the difference if any...
Another place to look is at the connectors, look inside the boot and see if there is any difference in the metal connectors thickness or material...

The reason I point out those two items, is jacket thickness can help control interference both RF (hearing engine whine in radio) and electrical (arcing from the wire to engine block or other wires or ground)
the thickness of the metal connector can impact its ability to hold up to heat, expansion and contraction leading to a "loose" fit at the electrical connection of the plug to plug wire...

I'd mention the core or conductor thickness but there is no real way to verify that without cutting up the wire itself, however you can check the conductance off each wire to make sure they are all with in a percentage of each other...

You are speaking to a perfectionist here, so don't over think it..
Old May 29th, 2015, 10:02 AM
CF Beginner

Upon talking with O'Reilly's personnel they said the 9 before the 748RR is a superseded number and the 748RR is not recognized by them no longer. Hmmmmmmmmm? Per Doug at O'Reillys in Arnold, Mo.
Old May 29th, 2015, 11:21 AM
Administrator

As I read more on the "9" it appears that my original post that the ones without the 9 are indeed OEM made by AC Delco for GM... the "9" indicates that they are now aftermarket but still made for AC Delco to the same specs... it appears to me, to boil down to contractual obligations between GM and its supplier AC Delco... AC Delco can now "relax" its obligation for this older part, and have it out sourced ?

In a nutshell you are getting the same part to Delco's specs

Quick Reply: 100k mile Tune Up 2007 5.3L