Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1997 K1500 Suburban CSFI to MPFI conversion help

Search this Thread

Old August 31st, 2015, 3:47 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 K1500 Suburban CSFI to MPFI conversion help

I am in the process of converting from the original CSFI to the MPFI spider on my 1997 4wd Suburban, 5.7. I thought everything was good until I tried to put the upper intake back on, and I couldn't get it to sit all the way down. I think I had the injector tubes routed correctly, and it didn't appear that they were what was causing it not to seat the last 1/8-/1/4 inch (I say that b/c I didn't see any witness marks of gunk or other evidence on the tubes or underside of plenum from them touching, and I figure I would have felt a little give or something if I was fighting the injector tubes). I know some of the conversion kits come w/ a new retaining bracket. Mine did not. Is the bracket that comes w/ these kits different than the original bracket? I felt like the bracket was too tall possibly and that maybe I did need a different one, although in all my research I still can't confirm it. I also saw somewhere else where someone mentioned that I may need to grease up the plenum where the rectangular part of the injector body fits so that it slides all the way up. I'm going to try that tonight and see if that was my problem. Anyone ever run into something like this or have any tips?

Secondly, and possibly a more serious issue.....I tried a few different injector tube routings and none of them made much difference. I did use a fair about of force trying to get the plenum down flush w/ the lower intake (to no avail). At some point, I noticed what looked like cracks running up the white colored tubing from the tip of the injector toward the body. Grease from my hands had settled into what looked like tiny cracks, lots of them, but when I wiped it clean I couldn't see them. They don't appear to be deep at all or else I wouldn't have been able to simply wipe them and not see the cracks/lines anymore. Is it possible that I somehow splintered them, either while routing the tubes or pushing on them trying to get the upper to sit flush? I'd hate to get it back together and realize I ruined all those tubes and have fuel spraying all over somewhere.
Old September 2nd, 2015, 10:55 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well...the first part of the issue is solved. I just wasn't getting the injector body all the way up into the upper. It took a little oil and I tapped it in w/ a rubber handle of a wrench and it finally went. Good news is that I don't need a new bracket. I am still concerned about the tubing looking like it has tiny cracks, although knowing that it was the upper intake/injector body that was fighting me before (not injector tubes), I feel like I didn't do anything that should damage it.