Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Suburban 5.7 Have to use starting fluid

Search this Thread

Old October 21st, 2020, 7:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 Suburban 5.7 Have to use starting fluid

I have a 1999 GMC Suburban with 5.7. I have to use starting fluid every time I start it, does not matter if it is cold or hot. Once it starts it runs and can be driven but if you accelerate very much at all it bogs down. If you accelerate a little at a time it does ok. Any help greatly appreciated!!!!!

UPDATE: Replaced fuel filter (No difference in running or starting) Brother in law checked fuel pressure it's 50-55 PSI. I spoke to the previous owner and he said the bogging down gets a lot worse in the winter. I drove it about 30 miles today and it did not bog down as bad after about 15 miles when the engine warmed up (Still bogged down a little but not as bad)

Had someone say the catalytic converter could be stopped up, Will that cause my issues?
The engine light is NOT on and my brother in law scanned it and it shows NO codes

Last edited by PPeek; October 28th, 2020 at 12:45 PM.
Old October 21st, 2020, 9:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Fuel pump? check fuel pressure. Last time you changed fuel filter??
Old October 21st, 2020, 11:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Fuel pump? check fuel pressure. Last time you changed fuel filter??
I'm not sure when the filter was last changed. I just bought the Suburban Monday. Is checking the fuel pressure fairly easy to do? I'm disabled and can't do it but if not to much trouble maybe my son can do that. What Parts/tools do I need to get him so he can check it?
Old October 22nd, 2020, 10:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 204 Likes on 178 Posts

Have him change the filter 1st - quick & easy and inexpensive and may solve the problem
Old October 22nd, 2020, 11:53 AM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

I suspect the fuel pump for two reasons, The bogging down and the fact that you have to use the starting fluid to start. The pump itself can bleed off pressure that should be held in the system that allows for a quick start when cranking. Don't get me wrong because there are other places the pressure can bleed off at. For instance, the fuel pressure regulator: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...53327&jsn=1696, or the fuel injector spider that is very well known for causing problems: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...53327&jsn=1713.

You could also have a fuel line with a leak but would likely smell raw fuel if you did. The fuel filter would have to be very very clogged to cause a bad start or bogging if the pump itself is in good condition. The fuel pump itself may be needed: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...53327&jsn=1724 and of course do the fuel filter if you do the pump: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...53327&jsn=1739, plus I always recommend replacing the fuel pump relay if you do the pump and filter: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...53327&jsn=1810, this is the 5 pin relay and this one is the 4 pin relay: https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo...53327&jsn=1811

Sometimes you can rent or borrow a fuel pressure gauge at a parts store but the user should have the tools and the know how to use it. If you have a trusted tech friend or a trusted shop, use them for help.
The following users liked this post:
Rednucleus (October 22nd, 2020)
Old October 27th, 2020, 11:06 AM
CF Active Member

Need to snake a longer fuel pressure test gauge hose under back of hood and tape to windshield and watch to see what the pressure is when you accel and it bogs down.
PPeek (October 27th, 2020)
Old October 27th, 2020, 3:54 PM
CF Active Member

If you can live with whatever is happening, great, it is your rig afterall.
Old October 28th, 2020, 12:16 PM
CF Beginner

No I can't live with it acting up. I' live in the sticks and if it breaks down I can't walk to get help and have no phone to call for help, so I'll be stranded until someone might happen by (if they even stop to help). Had someone say the catalytic converter could be stopped up, Will that cause my issues?
Old October 28th, 2020, 12:55 PM
CF Active Member

Yes, a clogged catalytic converter can cause the loss of power when accel but seem fine at idle or light throttle. But the catalytic converter will not cause the starting problem. The way to tell if the cat(s) are clogged is to have a shop run a backpressure test and also measure the temp of the cat(s) from front to back while running. Need to see equal temps. You can also use a vacuum gauge and watch for good even vacuum at idle, about 18-20 inches of vacuum, and then rev the engine and the vacuum should drop and then start to climb as you hold the rev at about 2000 rpm. If it does not climb back to the original idle reading, you have a clogged exhaust. But again, that will not cause the no start problem.

When you crank and it doesn't start till you use the starting fluid, I would just turn on the key and let it prime itself and see if it starts after sitting with the key on after about 30 seconds. If it starts then, with no starting fluid, then you know you have a fuel pressure bleed off. Or you still may have that fuel pump problem but I can guess all day long but am basing my input off of what you have said happens.
PPeek (October 28th, 2020)
Old March 27th, 2022, 9:02 PM
CF Beginner

Default Have same problem

Has anyone fixed this I have the exact same problem 1999 suburban k1500 5.7. Changed fuel pump, filter, fuel pressure regulator, swapped spider injectors, I’ve pressure tested the fuel lines and holds 50-55 psi consistently. Also only starts on starting fluid