Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 tahoe

Search this Thread

Old December 16th, 2005, 9:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1999 tahoe

I have a 1999 Tahoe, the fuel gauge needle bounces all over, full to empty. Any ideas of what the trouble is and how to fix it?</P>

Thanks </P>

</P>
Old December 16th, 2005, 10:22 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1999 tahoe

Hey trout, I have the same prob. Mine goes way past the full mark and once it getsto half tank it moves from empty to full when stopping and accelerating. I have no advice, sorry. It's tough driving blind aint it? I post the stuck oil pressure gauge problem. Good luck.
< =>WJ_DoneLoading();</>
Old December 17th, 2005, 11:52 AM
CF Beginner

Default 1999 tahoe

Thanks tahoe 1 , i use the trip meter i fill up when i get to about 350miles , i just had to replace the upper and lower ball joints, along with the alternater, $1,100. nice christmas present. </P>

well thanks for the reply if i find out what the trouble is i'll let you know Happy Holidays to you and all thanks again trout </P>
Old December 17th, 2005, 7:08 PM
CF Beginner

Default 1999 tahoe

I do the same w/ my trip! After pulling the whole gauge module out of the dash and reinstalling it, I just got the part # off of it, it went right back to max. Went to another parts dealer, went thru the books and matched #'s to the original oil sending unit. Yep, AZ sold me the wrong part and swore that was the only one the COMPUTER found. My local dealer fixed me up and I'm back on the road. Lesson learned, just because it's new don't make it right. I got this completed today around 3pm.Next job is gas gauge, good luck w/yours.
< =>WJ_DoneLoading();</>
</P>
Old December 19th, 2005, 10:58 AM
CF Beginner

Default 1999 tahoe

Maybe your sending unit in the tank is shot. Just a thought.</P>
Old December 21st, 2005, 8:14 PM
CF Beginner

Default RE: 1999 tahoe

I have a 1998 Tahoe and it just started doing the same thing with in the last week. Have you figured out what the problem was?
When I start it up the needle jumps from right to left and they while it is running it vibrates. Does that sound like what yours is doing? It has only been since I last filled up my truck, I am probably going to have to fill it up in the next day or two.

Any info would be great.
Old January 2nd, 2006, 2:48 PM
CF Beginner

Hi wilsonracing, thats what it does , i think that it is a bad ground or the dending unit like Hiho said , when the weather gets a little warmer i will climb under and check the ground thanks for the reply
Old January 2nd, 2006, 2:50 PM
CF Beginner

Hi Hiho thanks for the reply, i have to check the ground it may be bad . i hope that its not the sending unit
Old January 5th, 2006, 6:52 PM
CF Beginner

Been there, done that. Your fuel-tank pump & sender unit has a faulty harness. GM's goof is your expense. When you lower the fuel tank and pull out the pump/sender assly, you will see melted harness wires which are occasionally shorting out on the bracket. This problem will also show itself blowing the fuel pump fuse intermittently. Pump/sender is about $270 at Auto Zone.
MAKE SURE you burn, drain or siphon the gas out first, (dang that tank was heavy), and have at least 18" clearance to drop tank and access sender/pump unit. Great time to change fuel filters and or replumb fuel lines if you so desire.