Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

1999 Tahoe temp gauge problems new thermostat

Search this Thread

Old December 7th, 2013, 9:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question 1999 Tahoe temp gauge problems new thermostat

I am having a problem with my 1999 chevy tahoe, it was -4 degrees outside when I went out to start my truck. I drove approx 20miles and the gauge for temp went all the way to the right past redline. I got off on the next exit and the truck died. I turned the car off and opened the hood to see if there were any problems I could see. The overflow tank was bubbling and then would stop and do it again a few mins later. I did not have much steam coming from the radiator and there was no pressure when I opened the cap. (has a red lever to release pressure). I opened up the cap and added some more antifreeze. A "mechanic" stopped to help and said that since the engine was not "hot" I should try and start it. I had been sitting on the side of the road about 30mins. The truck did not want to start like the battery didn't have enough of a charge. The man attempted to jump my truck but put the cables in the wrong position on his vehicle. It sparked when he attached them to my truck but he said that was because of the snow. I told him to stop and had the truck towed to my house. I bought a new battery and started the truck. I let it run and noticed that the check gauges light came on and the needle again dropped to below 260 then dropped to cold. It ran for a total of 35min. I went and bought a new thermostat and put it in. The truck started up and after about 5 mins the needle did the same thing. I turned off the truck and came here to ask what next. I am out of ideas and do not have a clue. Any help would be appreciated, thank you.
The following users liked this post:
EricBurkholz01 (November 15th, 2019)
Old November 15th, 2019, 5:46 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

jhinderliter: Likely a blow head gasket particularly on a 20 year old vehicle.
Old November 15th, 2019, 8:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 553 Posts

Originally Posted by EricBurkholz01
if it's the radiator, then you might need to see an actual mechanic in that case.
Why are we digging up 6 year old posts?
Old November 15th, 2019, 9:23 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Why are we digging up 6 year old posts?

Likely a ford Troll. Going to have to look at the dates before posting.