Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2000 Suburban LT Autoride issue

Search this Thread

Old April 13th, 2010, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you're replacing the shocks in yours, my tip (if you don't already know this) is to have 2 jacks -- one on the frame and one on the axle itself so you can adjust the axle & fram to line up to the holes on the shocks because you can't compress them at all. I don't know about the airlines coming from the compressor, but the air lines (& electrical wire clip) feeding the shocks just have a real simple clip harness that I removed and then put back on the new ones with absolutely now problems.

Good luck, let us know how she goes.
Old April 15th, 2010, 3:21 PM
CF Beginner

Well, the shocks were amazingly simple. Bolts came right out, and went right back in. I think they were stainless because there was virturally no rust on them. I would like to thank whomever decided to use the bolts they did for the shocks

Then there is the compressor. The old compressor mounting screws were so rusty. It is obvious that the guy responsible for mounting that thing didn't consult the guy who did the shocks! Then to top it off, the compressor doesn't fit! The mounting bracket is too long to fit the compressor, and none of the mounting points on the pump match the compressor.

I called Arnott this morning. Apparently for about 6 months in 2000, GM used a different pump than ALL the other pumps they installed on these trucks, and it figures I have on of those trucks . So I have two options, return the compressor and go to the stealership for a compressor that will fit which will cost me about $180 more, or have a friend of mine fabricate a new mounting bracket that will fit the new pump. If this option costs about $120 or less, that will be what I do.

Other than the pump not fitting on the bracket, it is pretty easy to do. If you decide to do this yourself, be prepared to replace the mounting hardware on the pump and dryer.

On a side note, you can now rebuild your dryer. As of about February 2010 Arnott includes the material to rebuild your dryer. I had already purchased a dryer from Sun Core in December so it didn't matter for me. Although there is a small screw that holds the dryer and trying to get it out as rusty as it was caused the plastic tab on the dryer to break. Good thing I had another one handy.
Old April 30th, 2010, 8:58 AM
CF Beginner

Back on the road. My buddy modified my pump for me for free and I installed it last week. Works like a charm. If the pump were to have just bolted right in, this really would have been an easier repair than I originally anticipated.

I wish I would have taken some pictures to put on here for a "how to do" turorial. Oh well, next time. Maybe when I have to fix my leaking valve covers I'll take pictures.