Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Suburban-Strange Electrical Problem

Search this Thread

Old April 22nd, 2012, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Suburban-Strange Electrical Problem

Hello!

I recently started driving a 2001 Suburban with 104k on the clock. About a week ago, I was backing out of the driveway, and shifted from reverse to drive and a fairly loud "click" (electrical sounding) came from under the hood, the voltmeter drops severely and all the electronics shut off (for a split second). The same thing happened that afternoon as I was leaving school (after having sat for 7-8 hours), so I thought it only happened when it was cold. Today I was driving around, parked and went in a store, came back out and it did it when it was warm. Quicklist:

1.) Electrical clicking sound coming from under the hood. (Kind of like a short blast from a mig welder)

2.) Only occurs when shifting into drive. I can shift into reverse normally, but when I go to put it in drive, I get the sound and symptoms.

3.) Does not happen every time I change gears. It appears to be random with a frequency when it's cold.

4.) I know I have a weak battery. I've been meaning to replace it, but I haven't gone to get another one.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Old April 22nd, 2012, 6:39 PM
CF Active Member

Some one is going to have to lok at it to help diagnois the problem.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 8:32 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

CountryMusicCTD Welcome to the forum

The battery could very well be the issue, you might want to check the battery connections to ensure they are clean and tight....
Remove the terminals and clean with a stiff brush, also check the ground cable from the battery to the block and body for a good fit and no corrosion...
Old April 22nd, 2012, 9:08 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

And after you do that, get a free battery and alternator check at a local auto parts store like Advance Auto. I agree w/ in2pro that it sure sounds like a bad connection.
Old April 22nd, 2012, 9:49 PM
CF Beginner

I took the battery out a few days ago - The connections are tight and without corrosion. I'll check the ground tomorrow if I get time. Thanks for the replies.