Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2001 Tahoe Knock Sensor

Search this Thread

Old October 3rd, 2010, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Tahoe Knock Sensor

Have an issue on my 2001 Tahoe with the knock sensor. The knock sensor is a good engine monitor tool when it is working correctly and the engine is fairley new, but after you get some miles on the engine it hears alot of normal engine noise that comes with engine age.

Does anyone know if you can by pass the knock sensor with a resistor? simliar to what you can do with the imports.
<!-- / message -->
Old October 3rd, 2010, 8:57 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Are you sure the knock sensor is going bad? I've not heard of one tripping on normal engine noises.
Old October 13th, 2010, 8:58 PM
CF Beginner

Default Knock Sensors

Why not just replace them since like you said thery are a good engine monitoring device. I did both of mine in my 01 silverado took about 4 hours since I took the time to clean my intake and after I put the new knock sensors in I sealed them up with gasket maker so that water could not get back down in there. Its a fairly simple job.
Old February 8th, 2011, 11:08 PM
CF Beginner

I recently changed out both my sensors, after getting PO327 codes, using OEM parts, torqued every per specs, used silicone and sealed them up. Now my ecm throws the same code last three days after about 20 miles of driving?? After seeing the water and corrosion in the wells the sensors were in, figured I was good to go. Any ideas on why I am still throwing this code??? Pretty aggravating!! Thanks
Old February 8th, 2011, 11:11 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum silveradok1500

Are you hearing any audible knock? would it be worth trying a mid grade gas to see if it changes...
Old February 9th, 2011, 5:40 AM
dh1
CF Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you inspect the wiring harness when you replaced the sensors? A bad connection to the main harness will lead to a failure code...and unfortunately it's the same code as an actual knock condition.
Old February 9th, 2011, 8:42 PM
CF Beginner

I tried Premium several days back for the hell of it but no change. Never hear an audible knock under acceleration??
Old February 9th, 2011, 8:48 PM
CF Beginner

I looked at it after an earlier post I saw about this same issue that someone else was having, and it appeared to be fine. Heard you can test for 5 volt DC at plug, and then there was an ohm number that the sensors should be reading. Did not get the ohm amount, but figure if I check them and they are close to the same, the sensors are good. The intake looked pretty clean, as well as the intake ports on the heads. Never got a misfire code so I dont believe I have a carbon or detenation issue either??
Old February 10th, 2011, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

FYI:

Important: If the knock sensor is dropped, it must be replaced.

• Check the knock sensor for proper installation. A knock sensor that is loose or over torqued may cause the DTC to set.

• If DTCs P0327 and P0332 are set at the same time, inspect for poor connections at the KS harness jumper, located at the left rear side of the intake manifold.

Remove the intake manifold sight shield.
Disconnect the knock sensor (KS) jumper harness connector located on the left side of the intake manifold.
Set the DMM to the 400K ohm scale.
Measure the resistance of the affected KS using the DMM connected to battery ground.
Is the resistance of the knock sensor within the specified range?
93K-107K ohms
Old March 3rd, 2011, 12:35 AM
CF Beginner

i too am having a reoccurring knock code 332. when i dug into it, the previous owner already changed both sensors and siliconed the holes, i metered both and are the same at 97k ohms. even at the connector so there is no resistance in the harness. No audible knocking, only comes on when i hit about 60mph and let off the gas. The one thing i did recently notice is a tick on the right side that sounds like a exhaust leak at the manifold or the coupler on the down pipe. I replaced wires hoping that it was a bad wire. could a exhaust leak cause it?

Quick Reply: 2001 Tahoe Knock Sensor