Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2002 Suburban 1500 Towing Question

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2020, 2:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Suburban 1500 Towing Question

I've just purchased a well maintained 2002 Suburban 2 WD with 5.3 motor 204,000 miles. If anyone can help with a couple questions? It has a tow capacity of 5000 pounds which is just at the weight of my travel trailer. I haven't hooked the Suburban to the trailer yet. If the powertrain can handle it, should it be able to tow this weight comfortably? Second question. It has a bumper hitch (receiver type) welded underneath and onto the bumper (but not the frame)- Should this be adequate or ....? Third question. Any issues, problems concerns before taking it on the road? Many, many, many thanks in advance.
Old November 19th, 2020, 4:10 PM
CF Active Member

Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts

You are at the towing limit of the rig. You should also use a weight distribution hitch and sway bars. Look that up. You can tow the trailer but the cooling system, transmission and engine need to be in top shape and have a clear trans cooler for cooling the trans fluid. Well maintained doesn't tell me anything. Proof? That receiver should not be welded to the bumper, PERIOD! Have it removed and install a quality receiver and attach to the frame, PERIOD! If you don't have the expertise to do that, have a tow shop help you.
The following 2 users liked this post by PNW NBS Z71:
mountainmanjoe (November 25th, 2020), oilcanhenry (November 20th, 2020)
Old November 20th, 2020, 11:13 AM
CF Junior Member

my 2007 suburban LTZ has a 9,000 lb. + tow capacity (factory installed) but a reciever hitch welded to bumper is cheap and dangerous. And I been welding for over 30 years professionally .
Old November 20th, 2020, 3:48 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by spunebil
my 2007 suburban LTZ has a 9,000 lb. + tow capacity (factory installed) but a reciever hitch welded to bumper is cheap and dangerous. And I been welding for over 30 years professionally .
No, you don't. At best it's 8100 lbs, and the only way to achieve that would be with a 150-lb driver, no passengers and no gear/cargo.

I towed a 7,000-lb trailer with a 2001 1500. Logged about 10,000 miles, including Rocky Mountain passes.

To the OP - look under the back of your truck. Is the receiver simply attached to the bumper, or is it attached to a round bar which is then attached to the frame rails?

5000 should be fine for that truck. Do you know your gear ratio?

My 2001, at Powder River Pass, elev 9666'.

2002  Suburban 1500 Towing Question-yo23kzf.jpg
Old November 25th, 2020, 4:44 PM
CF Junior Member

Highs: Plentiful power, quiet operation, smooth ride, big appetite for big jobs.
Towing goes from 8000 pounds for 4WD 1500-series models such as our test vehicle to 9700 pounds for a 2WD 2500-series. There are essentially two V-8s—a pair of 5.3-liters, one of them iron block, the other all aluminum—and two 6.0-liters, ditto, with variable valve timing on the aluminum version, a $1095 option included in our tester.

from car and driver magazine , it wouldn't let me copy the top of page
But anywhoos,
I drove over the road trucks for years so can tow above the rating with no problems, unless caught at the scales LOL
and me gear ratio is 3.73 with G80 locker and 17" wheels and BF Goodrich KO2's
and my reciever is attatched to frame class 3 factory installed. My tr
ailer has axle brakes , and I know how to gear down on down grades, and how to brake early instead of waiting to last minute like many milinials do these days

Last edited by spunebil; November 25th, 2020 at 4:55 PM.
Old November 26th, 2020, 9:18 PM
CF Pro Member

Highs: Plentiful power, quiet operation, smooth ride, big appetite for big jobs.
Towing goes from 8000 pounds for 4WD 1500-series models such as our test vehicle to 9700 pounds for a 2WD 2500-series. There are essentially two V-8s—a pair of 5.3-liters, one of them iron block, the other all aluminum—and two 6.0-liters, ditto, with variable valve timing on the aluminum version, a $1095 option included in our tester.

from car and driver magazine , it wouldn't let me copy the top of page
But anywhoos,
I drove over the road trucks for years so can tow above the rating with no problems, unless caught at the scales LOL
and me gear ratio is 3.73 with G80 locker and 17" wheels and BF Goodrich KO2's
and my reciever is attatched to frame class 3 factory installed. My tr
ailer has axle brakes , and I know how to gear down on down grades, and how to brake early instead of waiting to last minute like many milinials do these days
Well, since you say you have an LTZ, it's a half-ton truck, because LTZ trim level wasn't available on the 2500 trucks.

Here the trailer tow ratings page from the 2007 owners manual. Please point out the 9,000-lb+ rating for your truck..With the 3.73,your actual tow rating is not more than 7200. But you make up for deficiencies in your truck with your extreme skill? How exactly does that improve the performance of your weak, semifloater rear axle?

Last edited by intheburbs; November 26th, 2020 at 9:22 PM.
Old November 27th, 2020, 1:16 PM
CF Junior Member

did you actually read me post ? I know its rated as a half ton 1500, sorta figured that out when I saw it was a suburban 1500 LTZ on the Car lot before I bought it . I aint worried about the factory GVWR . I sorta mentioned that in me previous post that you Quoted . Now I don't recommend anyone do what I do , I stated that I have hundreds of thousands of miles ignoreing the GVWR And Know how to still drive safely , unlike those who think its like living a SUV to the Mall .

Last edited by spunebil; November 27th, 2020 at 1:20 PM.
Old November 27th, 2020, 3:06 PM
CF Pro Member

did you actually read me post ? I know its rated as a half ton 1500, sorta figured that out when I saw it was a suburban 1500 LTZ on the Car lot before I bought it . I aint worried about the factory GVWR . I sorta mentioned that in me previous post that you Quoted . Now I don't recommend anyone do what I do , I stated that I have hundreds of thousands of miles ignoreing the GVWR And Know how to still drive safely , unlike those who think its like living a SUV to the Mall .
Yes, I read your post, and as you can see above, I even highlighted the contradictory parts in red. And I find it humorous how you talk about something cheap and dangerous, all while happily admitting that your super-duper Jedi Ninja driving skills give you the powers to ignore the laws of physics. You half a half-ton truck, with weak, semifloater axles, half-ton brakes, a half-ton frame and a half-ton payload. All the driving skill in the world doesn't make it safe to run on the highway at 16-17,000 lbs.

Good luck with that, sparky. Have a nice day.
The following users liked this post:
repairman54 (November 29th, 2020)
Old November 28th, 2020, 3:01 PM
CF Junior Member

intheburbs , are you still on this Trivial crap ? did your mommy not pay attention to you much as a child ? like in past week or so ?
Old November 30th, 2020, 3:54 PM
CF Pro Member

intheburbs , are you still on this Trivial crap ? did your mommy not pay attention to you much as a child ? like in past week or so ?
Actually, I love guys like you. You spout your BS, been there, done that, know everything, and then when someone calls you on it, you slough it off and toss insults.

My mom is recently deceased, thanks for asking.

But maybe your wife might be up for the job, being as she's married to such a jackass?

Quick Reply: 2002 Suburban 1500 Towing Question