Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2002 Tahoe rough start and dies

Search this Thread

Old February 5th, 2018, 3:32 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Tahoe rough start and dies

My issue started a few weeks ago with it hard starting and quickly dying unless I started it a few times and rev the engine up. Then after I get it running and keep reving it may stay running or may die out again but seems to stay running if I put it into gear drivefor a minute and put it in park.
Then driving it for a while and Park Shut the car off, come back 20 minutes later sometimes it will start right up and go or start it a few times put it into gear answer it will sputter along and die. Restart it and it’s fine. Also when i am reving it up to keep it running it sounds like a loud knocking and clinking coming from my intake. The car has died while driving 3 times. First time took 20 minutes to start back up second time started right up and third time, well let’s just say I haven’t been able to drive it since.
so now the car won’t run at all now. Sometimes if with turn in and sputter around 400 Rpms and die or it will just try to start with no success. I know this sounds like a fuel pump issue but I can hear it working when I turn the key to the on position. And I am getting P0171 and P0174 on scan tool.

Thingsbthat I have done to the car since this started happening

spark plugs
02 sensors
clean and tested injectors
cleaned throttle body
cleaned maf
changed out throttle position sensor

What my future plans are to do unless someone has cause of issue....

fuel pump and filter
inyake manifold gasket

2002 Chevy Tahoe 4.8L vortec 4x4

Old February 5th, 2018, 3:42 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the Forum.

Check your fuel pressure running, engine off & key on, and engine off, key off (leakdown).
Old December 21st, 2021, 9:40 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Jmabey13
My issue started a few weeks ago with it hard starting and quickly dying unless I started it a few times and rev the engine up. Then after I get it running and keep reving it may stay running or may die out again but seems to stay running if I put it into gear drivefor a minute and put it in park.
Then driving it for a while and Park Shut the car off, come back 20 minutes later sometimes it will start right up and go or start it a few times put it into gear answer it will sputter along and die. Restart it and it’s fine. Also when i am reving it up to keep it running it sounds like a loud knocking and clinking coming from my intake. The car has died while driving 3 times. First time took 20 minutes to start back up second time started right up and third time, well let’s just say I haven’t been able to drive it since.
so now the car won’t run at all now. Sometimes if with turn in and sputter around 400 Rpms and die or it will just try to start with no success. I know this sounds like a fuel pump issue but I can hear it working when I turn the key to the on position. And I am getting P0171 and P0174 on scan tool.

Thingsbthat I have done to the car since this started happening

spark plugs
02 sensors
clean and tested injectors
cleaned throttle body
cleaned maf
changed out throttle position sensor

What my future plans are to do unless someone has cause of issue....

fuel pump and filter
inyake manifold gasket

2002 Chevy Tahoe 4.8L vortec 4x4

im having the same problem did you ever figure it out?
Old December 22nd, 2021, 7:43 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 152 Posts

3 yr old post and they never came back with the solution.
Old December 24th, 2021, 8:41 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by repairman54
3 yr old post and they never came back with the solution.
Likely he got it fixed, just didn't have the @$^%$W#$%&%#@$^&$# courtesy to follow up with the fix !!!!