Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 Suburban: replacing the fuel pressure regulator

Old January 15th, 2013, 10:02 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 Suburban: replacing the fuel pressure regulator

I need a little help in replacing the fuel pressure regulator. I purchased a replacement and while it looks similar to the OEM version, it's definitely different in style and fitment. The OEM version will 'snap' in place due to the rubber o-ring, then you install a bracket to keep the FPR in place. The replacement won't 'snap' into place and won't even stay in place before you go to the next step of installing the bracket. Also, the replacement came with a snap-ring but the OEM version didn't use/have one.

Two are available for the 5.3L; flex fuel and not a flex fuel. My ID has a 'T' and when you narrow the search to a 5.3L 'T', you get the part that I bought that doesn't look like an exact match of the original FPR. Choose the 'Z' / Flex Fuel version though and it looks exactly like mine... except I don't own a flex fuel version of the 5.3L. -

When I input all the vehicle parameters at AutoZone, I get part number 800-329, which is what I bought, but sure doesn't seem to fit. I've gone to three other auto parts websites and come up with this exact part fitting my Suburban. All look the same to each other, none match the looks of the OEM. Only one that does fits a 'Z' engine code.

Anyone change theirs out and could help me figure things out?

Thank you, Richard

First three pictures are of the OEM FPR, after-market replacement version are the two silver FPR pictures.
Attached Thumbnails 2003 Suburban: replacing the fuel pressure regulator-vajkuhxroyx2jownihbqvxrmthfjfsq_n1htc29kj-s.jpg   2003 Suburban: replacing the fuel pressure regulator-1wxt0pzydzvjqqfod2yi4y2y6lqwvrmgvhrzqgor5ba.jpg   2003 Suburban: replacing the fuel pressure regulator-osuyncnvhtubipa-c9rbxyxs_r2wylkh6yyq7h9rnfk.jpg   2003 Suburban: replacing the fuel pressure regulator-vazuidmbzbh4wyhbos292u25x3sc1-5km2z9qzebn5u.jpg   2003 Suburban: replacing the fuel pressure regulator-sr_4cw94rm-uwfozfulk3hnps2onhssnm4skzvahnse.jpg  

Old January 16th, 2013, 7:22 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

I would use the one that fits, flex fuel or not, if it looks like what came out, the ECM will adjust for the flex fuel not the FPR, so if they are both for your type engine the flex one should be fine.

You might want to shoot Chevrolet Customer Service a message with your VIN and Louis may be able to tell you more info on your model of vehicle... maybe you have a half year production... who knows... but go with what came out would be my advice....
Old January 17th, 2013, 10:26 PM
CF Junior Member

Well, after doing extensive research over a four day period and getting varied answers everywhere, I finally ordered a fuel pressure regulator from NAPA. The counter person spent 20+ minutes going through all the menu's and part numbers to try and cross-reference / match the part. He got pretty irritated too trying to find a match. Finally went with a FPR that shows as for the 2000-2002 model run. It appears that GM did a running production change and my '03 was still using a part from a previous model-year. Will take a day to get the part and likely will be a few days before I get a chance to install, or try to install, to see if this is the right part.

Interestingly, while the NAPA software shows that this part fits my 5.3L non-flex fuel engine, when I run the specifications through a few eBay parts suppliers, the part comes back 'incompatible'. Shows compatible only with the 8.1L... I called NAPA back and explained my findings and he told me I was over-thinking things; wait for the part and see if it installs.

The FPR that I ordered is Delphi FP10021 and I'll post the results as soon as I can.
Old January 18th, 2013, 4:47 PM
CF Junior Member

I had a few extra minutes today and tried to install the Delphi FP10021 fuel pressure regulator: strike two! Doesn't fit and when I returned to NAPA auto parts, after another extensive search, they gave up.

The search for the correct part continues...
Old January 18th, 2013, 7:35 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

It might be time to head to your local dealer for the part...
Have you checked Rock Auto? they often times display pictures of the parts ...
Old January 20th, 2013, 11:24 AM
CF Junior Member

AC Delco 17113700: I was finally able to cross reference to the OEM part number. Went to Amazon and eBay, since I could not find one locally. I ordered one from eBay for $44 with free shipping. Even though it looks like it's for a 2003 'Z' engine code and not a 'T', it looks exactly like mine. Can't say the same thing for every other 2003 'T' I was able to find; none looked like mine nor did they actually fit. I suspect it comes down to my vehicle being built 06/03 and used the carryover FPR from the 2000-2002 model-year Suburban.
Old September 19th, 2014, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Smile Fuel Pressure Regulator

Originally Posted by rjdjbd
AC Delco 17113700: I was finally able to cross reference to the OEM part number. Went to Amazon and eBay, since I could not find one locally. I ordered one from eBay for $44 with free shipping. Even though it looks like it's for a 2003 'Z' engine code and not a 'T', it looks exactly like mine. Can't say the same thing for every other 2003 'T' I was able to find; none looked like mine nor did they actually fit. I suspect it comes down to my vehicle being built 06/03 and used the carryover FPR from the 2000-2002 model-year Suburban.
I have an 03 Avalanche 5.3 4X4 and was given the supposedly correct FPR from parts supplier. My VIN too has a T and not a Z on the 8th digit. I took of the OEM one and went back to the parts store and low and behold not only the FPR but the fuel rail is for flex fuel. My though is if parts were being changed mid stream during the year during assembly that is what happened. I replaced it and it is working great.
Old February 8th, 2019, 2:34 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs up Great post!

This post helped me so much! I really appreciate the info.