Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 tahoe front grinding noise

Search this Thread

Old January 30th, 2010, 6:12 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 tahoe front grinding noise

Hello,
this is my first post so thanks in advance. I have a 2003 tahoe w/102,000 miles that developed a grinding noise in the front driver side. Insted of throwing a bunch of money at the problem I took it to the dealer and had them check it out. $140 later I was told it was 100% my front left hub. I purchaced the hub and replaced it myself and low and behold the grinding is still there!!!!! I took it back to the Chevy Dealer and the General manager told me to bring it back next week for another diagnosis????
Does anyone else have any sugestions? I dont want to keep throwing $$$$ at parts I don't need. It grinds in 2wd, 4wd, neutral, however the grinding noise is much louder in 4wd. It dosent get any louder when turning. It almost sounds like my brake is hanging up but the sound is still there when I softly ride or push on the brakes and the dealer said they are fine.
Again thanks,
Old January 31st, 2010, 1:22 PM
CF Beginner

I have the same problem on our 2000 nbs suburban. Replaced wheel hub and bearing to no avail. We have not fixed the problem yet but have been told be a couple of different shops the problem lies inside the front differential and that the solution is to rebuild the diff. One shop says drive it till you can't stand it anymore then replace and the other says replace before it breaks or it could cost more to fix then.

Any one else have a good solution would love to hear it.
Old January 31st, 2010, 3:51 PM
CF Beginner

I pray its not the diff, that's just what I was afraid of !!!!!! I've never worked on one and I dont know how to shim gears, Nor do I have the time, I've got a pregnent wife about to pop!
I'm taking my tahoe to the dealer tuesday for another diagnosis (free this time). I'll report on the outcome then.
Old February 5th, 2010, 8:37 PM
CF Beginner

Thumbs down

well it looks like the differential berrings . oh well I guess I'll keep driving it until I can't stand the noise anymore.
Old February 7th, 2010, 11:46 AM
CF Beginner

I'd they say they could just replace the bearings or was it whole diff only? Did they give u a price for a repair?
Old February 7th, 2010, 2:57 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by brianbmwboy
I'd they say they could just replace the bearings or was it whole diff only? Did they give u a price for a repair?
They will and can replace the bearings. Chevy oem bearings are around $100 each (need 4) theres 2 other parts plus fluid needed ????, and about 5-7 hours of labor @ $75 an hour. however the tech ( looks like he's been around awhile) told me that if it was his ride he'd keep driving it until he coulden't stand the sound anymore. then told me it would be way easier/cheaper to pick up a good used Diff. from a junkyard for a few hundred and put it in myself. I like that because I'd have the time to take the other differential apart and rebuild it at my leisure.
hope that helps