Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2003 tahoe tranny issue???

Search this Thread

Old April 5th, 2011, 1:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2003 tahoe tranny issue???

Hi everyone, i have an 03 tahoe 4.8 liter... And I recently put a audio system in 2 amps and 2 subs... I was careless due to money constraints to purchase a high amp fuse for the power wire, and due to this I know it has put some strain into the battery that has been in for almost 2 years and altenator...so i bought a new battery today, and the issue is still there... its gears 2-3 that seem to shift like its slipping, could the alternator cause this??? or anything else,

another thing, is over the weekend, and since ive had the truck (bought used 3 months ago, carfax was clean) the truck drove fine. but when i listened to my system at a high volume and took off, the truck seemed to sputter as it shifted from first to second, and second to third... but when the volume was low, or the stereo was off it shifted fine, but now all of a sudden, its doing this... I bought some lucas oil transmission fix.. and it said its almost instant you notice the difference, but i didnt notice anything, maybe it takes more time... but please help!!

any ideas??

thanks!!<!-- / message -->
Old April 5th, 2011, 5:03 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

The fuse size should be based upon the gage of the wire, not the load. For example, 12 ga wire is good for 20 amps, 10 ga for 30 amps.

Check your wallet after the Lucas purchase, bet it was lighter.
Old April 6th, 2011, 9:37 AM
CF Beginner

Well i don't know.. I took it to a transfer shop yesterday to get more opinions and they said that it could be the transfer slipping into third.. but when they inspected it they said the tranny filter was just really dirty and that replacing that should fix it.... I figured the result would be immediate but nothing yet..I called and they said give it a few days tto let thw hydraulics to be oiled properly. So I will see. Another friend of mine who is a mechanic said that it could possibly be the fuel filter or egr any idea with that?? And Lucas was 8 bucks not bad. Sucks I bought it before tranny sshop they replaced fluid
Old April 6th, 2011, 9:42 AM
CF Beginner

And this happened overnight... its nothing that progressed over time...I had a Honda civic before I. Ought my truck and the clutch was going bad.. but I first noticed the issue going uphill and it progressively got worse with all the gears slipping and when I was on even road.... so I'm really hoping its not the transmission.