Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004 AC Not Cold - just cooling

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2007, 12:45 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2004 AC Not Cold - just cooling

I'm sure you are right about that

I took time to read some of your replies to others and apparently you might know answer about my AC...It's just how can I get it out of ya?
Old June 29th, 2007, 12:49 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Be nice.
Old June 29th, 2007, 12:52 PM
CF Junior Member

OK.....You too?
Old June 29th, 2007, 1:02 PM
CF Addict

If you read my first reply to you it was nice.
It might not have had correct information because I didn't fully understand your problem but at least I gave it a go.
In reality though A/C systems are hard to fix at home, no cop-out just the truth.

Here's the first thing that you need to do:
The A/C auxiliary (rear) evaporator module is at the rear passenger side, it is where the water came from, there is a drain tube that allows condensation from the evaporator core to drain outside, if it becomes clogged it will allow the plastic module (housing) to fill partially with water, when you come to a stop the motion will cause the water to slosh and spill out onto the floor board.
There is a drain hole (black rubber nub flattend on the end) underneath the vehicles just aft of the right rear tire (above the tailpipe) , it is not hard to locate, once you find this rubber drain tube take a straightend coat-hanger (or similar) and run it up and down in the hole to dislodge whatever is obstructing the drain, water will flow out when you get it.
Do this first it may likely completely solve your problem.
Old June 29th, 2007, 1:14 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

If you read my first reply to you it was nice.
It might not have had correct information because I didn't fully understand your problem but at least I gave it a go.
In reality though A/C systems are hard to fix at home, no cop-out just the truth.

Here's the first thing that you need to do:
The A/C auxiliary (rear) evaporator module is at the rear passenger side, it is where the water came from, there is a drain tube that allows condensation from the evaporator core to drain outside, if it become clogged it will allow the plastic module (housing) to fill partially with water, when you come to a stop the water will drain out onto the floor board.
There is a drain hole underneath the vehicles just aft of the right rear tire, it may be hard to locate but you need to prevail, once you find take a straighten coat hanger or similar and run it up and down in the hole to dislodge whatever is obstructing the drain, water will flow out when you get it.
Do this first it may likely completely solve your problem.
OK...Yes your first post was somewhat kind but it did give me the sense that I could never get this little (I suspect/hope little) problem fixed....I took offense and that is a problem I have too much of.

Now on to my AC....I will sure ream the drain tube out but you say "...just aft of the right rear tire..."
I currently have two drains draining.....1 between engine and passenger area at firewall AND 1 about middle of passenger side 2nd door. That second one seemed to me to be too far forward to typically relieve the condensation that spilled onto the floor out of the "vent/grate" as well, I did not think there would be 3 drain tubes?
Maybe the "draining" I see for #2 is wicking along the chassis from the rear where the tube is clogged? I did not get under it and verify it is a tube there.

Thanks
Old June 29th, 2007, 1:40 PM
CF Addict

Don't argue just do it, if it don't work then bitch.
Old July 1st, 2007, 1:29 AM
CF Junior Member

ZX... On the max A/C setting...what should the output temperature be on the 2007 Tahoefrom the front andrear vents?

Also, it seems the under heavy acceleration that when my A/C is on it temporarily blows warmer air than usual.... is that normal?

Thanks
Old July 1st, 2007, 8:41 AM
CF Addict

The low temperatures at the vents will depend on the outside air temperature and the relative humidity but the front systems lowest temp spec is 41F and the rear is 45F on cool days.
The rear (aux) system always runs about 3-4 degrees warmer then the front (main).

On days near 100F for instance the main system will put out about 60-66F (this is it's normal range at 100F)

If you step on the accelerator pedal hard (beyond 3/4 travel) the A/C compressor will be disengaged automatically to provide maximum power at the rear wheels, when the throttle is relaxed the compressor will then be re-energized.
Old July 1st, 2007, 2:43 PM
CF Junior Member

Thank you for the information. Much appreciated.
Old July 2nd, 2007, 10:43 AM
CF Addict

Hey BoneNTX,
How did you make out on unclogging the drain tube?

Quick Reply: 2004 AC Not Cold - just cooling