Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004 AC Not Cold - just cooling

Search this Thread

Old September 26th, 2007, 8:26 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2004 AC Not Cold - just cooling

ORIGINAL: BonesNTX

Sure....you can buy anything on Ebay

Aluminum oxidizes = corrodes Maybe I said rust but I'm rather aware it doesn't "rust"

2 Mechanics at the Stealership said it was corroded to the point of making a hole and leaking freon due to the drain being plugged for who knows how long.

Factory defect if you ask me
I meant Factory defedtive design in that it could ever hold water so long to cause this on a relatively new vehicle. It must have never drained properly?

This evaporator was never visually inspected...Determination was reached via a SNIFFER. It is not planned to be seen until Evap replacement...

So....Anyhitng else you guys can suggest might be the leak source? Common for one that has a clogged drain tube for a long time to end up like this with a corroded to the point of a hole Evap?
Old February 25th, 2008, 12:24 PM
CF Junior Member

Well we got it all repaired about a month ago. Cost about $290 for new Factory Evap install + vacuum+ freon + labor=about 2 hours.

My Friend, the now Hyndai Platinum Wrench did it for us at this house and then the vacuum+freon at GMC dealership where my Friend is a Master GoodWrench + Hyundai.

He modified the drain-hole to never plug again.

Good to have Friends in the car business!

I knew you guys were wondering so there you go!
Old February 29th, 2008, 9:04 AM
CF Beginner

My '00 Yukon did the same thing (same AC system and compressor as your '04). The dealer replaced some sort of relay switch, which did absolutely nothing to fix the problem.

The fix was the AC belt! Not exactly sure how/why, but that did it. I was replacing the serpentine belt anyway, and since the AC belt was there at the bottom, I replaced it also. That completely fixed the ac blowing cool (not cold) air problem. Maybe the belt lost some tension with age and wasn't fully engaging at times? I dunno.

But now it's a routine maintenace item for me. About every 18 months, I replace the serpentine belt and ac belt. Last time I had the local Goodyear tire dealer do it since I was there for an oil change anyway, cost about $90 for them to do both.
Old March 3rd, 2008, 8:25 AM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: bcb1

My '00 Yukon did the same thing (same AC system and compressor as your '04). The dealer replaced some sort of relay switch, which did absolutely nothing to fix the problem.

The fix was the AC belt! Not exactly sure how/why, but that did it. I was replacing the serpentine belt anyway, and since the AC belt was there at the bottom, I replaced it also. That completely fixed the ac blowing cool (not cold) air problem. Maybe the belt lost some tension with age and wasn't fully engaging at times? I dunno.

But now it's a routine maintenace item for me. About every 18 months, I replace the serpentine belt and ac belt. Last time I had the local Goodyear tire dealer do it since I was there for an oil change anyway, cost about $90 for them to do both.
Mine was problem caused at REAR AC Evaporator condensate not draining. Evaporator was most always sitting in water which caused corrosion = leak.

Be sure if you have REAR AC that when it is running you can see water dripping out by the Passenger Rear Tire. If you don't see water, get that holecleared out and possibly enlarged like we did to ensure no more clogging. GRAND Factory Defect that will cost you $. I go off cheap due to Friends in the business.