Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2004 AC Not Cold - just cooling

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2007, 10:37 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2004 AC Not Cold - just cooling

Camry Lost out as not high enough MPG for my daily drive

Still need my TAHOE AC COLD!

Old August 13th, 2007, 1:31 PM
CF Junior Member

Static pressure is what your pressure is at when the vehicle is off. Also asked if the compressor is cycling off ever with your low pressures (150ish). Read back through the thread and look at all of the questions that have been asked, and answer to the best of your ability. And maybe you'll get answers (to the best of our ability).
Old August 13th, 2007, 1:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Yes the compressor cycles at times. Seemingly not much if at all when freon level drops (normal)

Have never in my life checked static pressure on any car or home Condensor so thanks for teaching me something there. Even though I don't yet know whaat it should be.

The travelling mechanic was supposed to be back last night from 9 day trip up north to see Family. Plan was that he would have the TAHOE at the GMC dealer today but I have not heard from him yet.

Thanks
Old August 13th, 2007, 2:01 PM
CF Junior Member

What do you mean "freon level drops"? Are you losing refrigerant? If so, that's number one priority, fix the leaks, then move on to other things.

If the compressor is cycling off before it reaches the proper high-side pressures, and your low-side isn't dropping, one of your pressure switches is probably bad. If the compressor isn't cycling off, and it's just not able to get your high-side up to where it needs to be, then you're looking at a compressor that's on its way out.

My money's on a switch though, since the problem is intermitent.
Old August 13th, 2007, 2:20 PM
CF Junior Member

ORIGINAL: uraijit

What do you mean "freon level drops"? Are you losing refrigerant? If so, that's number one priority, fix the leaks, then move on to other things.

If the compressor is cycling off before it reaches the proper high-side pressures, and your low-side isn't dropping, one of your pressure switches is probably bad. If the compressor isn't cycling off, and it's just not able to get your high-side up to where it needs to be, then you're looking at a compressor that's on its way out.

My money's on a switch though, since the problem is intermitent.
Thanks for your reply

Seems to be loosing some freon as it was mentioned way back when on this deal. We checked for leadks with a sniffer (went off a bit at the real evap by probing from bottom next to tire)
As well we put die in but could not see any signs so opted to drive for a while which has now been 8 days. Plan was to have been in shop today for good look for die, even on rack.
If no die is ween then the freon will be removed and re-charged to be monitored daily until problem is pin pointed.

My friend has said all along ....Compressor probably is leaking at least and therefore replace.

My 1969 MACH I had the same compressor on for 36 yrs until I sold in 2005. freezing Cold of course...Even on 134.
New Chain saw at about 2 hrs use at home....broken
New 5 Ton American Standard Central AC....That has caused $8,200 damage to my house...AND they can't figure out how to set it yet.
Amazing where we have gotten to
Old August 14th, 2007, 5:00 AM
CF Junior Member

Now my Travelling Monkey Mechanic cannot get to it until next Monday due to him leaving town again to school in Dallas and myself unavailable a couple days this week. Arrrrgh!!!

Oh well I'm about 1 more can of freon to having it in his shop!

Thanks for the switch tip...I'll tell him to be sure to check for that as well once leak is found.
Old September 6th, 2007, 2:46 PM
CF Junior Member

Found you guys again FINALLY!

Just got my TAHOE into MR Goodwrench's today as my friend the Roving Mechnanic is in town for a couple days.

Knew you all were worried so I thought I'd check in and will notify you all when the problem is found and remedied.

til then................[sm=ttiwwp.gif][sm=americanasmiley.gif]
Old September 7th, 2007, 9:01 AM
CF Junior Member

Well, it's the rear evap that is leaking slowly. Surely due to not draining as we talked about early on. $280 for the part from the dealer + 4 hours labor + re-charge is the estimate thus far.

My friend (the Roaming Mechanic)and I will take aSaturday off together from fishing soon and R and R it in my driveway under my shade tree in front yard when he returns back to town after more Hyundai school he has to leave in order to attend next week.

They did fully charge it so I guess that means the evap rust hole is soon to get bigger with the +pressure and therefore the coolness will haveless duration.

Anybody know where to get that evap any cheaper?

Livin large in TEXAS! [sm=americanasmiley.gif]
Old September 25th, 2007, 2:32 AM
CF Junior Member

I know it's a bit late, but, Ebay.

Also, Aluminum does not rust...
Old September 25th, 2007, 7:52 AM
CF Junior Member

Sure....you can buy anything on Ebay

Aluminum oxidizes = corrodes Maybe I said rust but I'm rather aware it doesn't "rust"

2 Mechanics at the Stealership said it was corroded to the point of making a hole and leaking freon due to the drain being plugged for who knows how long.

Factory defect if you ask me

Quick Reply: 2004 AC Not Cold - just cooling