Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 chevy died while driving today and wont start!

Search this Thread

Old July 16th, 2014, 6:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 chevy died while driving today and wont start!

So I dropped off our 2005 Chevy Suburban to get an oil change, tire rotation, and brake inspection this morning. We picked up the vehicle at lunch and drove it home. Later today the truck died while driving in a parking lot, and will not start. There is no sound of a starter even trying to turn. The battery seems good (think it was like 13.4V) with a voltmeter, and all of the lights etc work. The dash information display says something about "vehicle stability control disabled" but not sure why this would keep the truck from starting. It seems like something electrical is locking it out, or maybes its the starter. I guess I am uneasy about it being at a shop and now something is wrong with it. Could the mechanic have locked the computer somehow while reseting oil life? Any ideas on more troubleshooting??? How can I check starter or relays?
Thanks
Old July 16th, 2014, 8:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

how's the oil level?
When you turn the key to start; do you hear a single click of the starter solenoid?
Old July 17th, 2014, 5:28 AM
CF Beginner

The first thing I checked was oil, and its fine. The heads up display on the gauge cluster flashes "Stability Sys Disabled" and its almost like the truck is electronically locked. It does not have a button to turn traction control on/off and I've never seen this before. I put a brand new battery in it last night, thinking that was the issue. The battery was 5yrs old and needed to be replaced, but that ruled out a battery as the culprit. Since the truck shutoff while driving, its hard to believe it could be the starter, but not sure.
Old July 18th, 2014, 7:26 AM
Super Moderator

is it a no crank or cranks but won't start?
if it is a no crank; do you hear a single click of the start solenoid when the key is turned to crank?

answering these questions will tell me if the truck commanding a start request or not.
Old July 19th, 2014, 7:59 PM
CF Beginner

Here is an update. It was a no crank, no start issue. The fuel pump was overheated and it blew a fuse which in turn killed power to the pcm computer. I could tell when I turned the key to on but did not start the truck, the display screen that normally gives you "low oil level" or low tire pressure" etc did not come on........just lights. I got quoted 900 to replace the fuel pump, so I ended up spending the day pumping fuel out of the tank and changing the fuel pump. Total cost......$305. I replaced the fuse for the pcm and she starts up and running good so far. Thanks for the replies!
Old April 4th, 2019, 11:50 PM
CF Beginner

Default Same issue.

I was heavily driving my Tahoe in my field about a month ago. On my way to the store, it died. I sat in the garage for a while. I bought a new battery and when I turn the key, its gives me one hard click, but nothing else. Our situation sounds very similar. Could we have the same problem?
Old April 4th, 2019, 11:59 PM
Super Moderator

the single click noise indicates the starter relay or starter solenoid is working. have someone turn the key to start and hold it in start....tap the starter with a hammer to end of a pry bar...if it cranks over...the starter is worn out.
Old April 5th, 2019, 8:04 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Jame - places like Autozone and O'Reilly can test your starter for free if you remove it and take it in.

However, I'd be surprised if this is related to the Tahoe dying while driving. But you need to get the engine spinning/cranking before you can do anything else, unless you want to get it towed to a shop.

For the record, my 1988 Suburban, 1994 Suburban, and 2005 Yukon all needed replacement starters installed.