Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2005 Z71 Tahoe 4wd weird issues...

Search this Thread

Old July 31st, 2009, 4:44 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 Z71 Tahoe 4wd weird issues...

4wd does numerous weird random things, had it looked at by couple of mechanics, it has puzzled them. Sometimes transfer kicks into neutral going down the road even though push button light still shows 2wd, many, many times when I crank it up it is in 4wd and sometimes have a hard time switching into 2wd, or it may go to the red neutral light or numerous similar random things. Replaced dash push buttons and that didn't help any, mechanics have cleaned some of the wiring connectors underneath but that hasn't helped. ANY IDEAS???? It's very dangerous especially going down the road and it decides to go into neutral (usually does it after hitting a bump in the road, BUT then again many times I can be going over rough roads and it does fine??)
Old August 2nd, 2009, 7:04 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Almost sounds to me like an actuator on the Transfer case going out. I have seen it on a couple of occasions where the actuator will not engage all the way and lets the Transfer case slip back into neutral. Or under a load ie, 4 wheeling and having to get on the gas and theres a loud bang cause it lets loose and then you go nowhere. I have a 99 Suburban that basically did the same thing but with me I actually was stuck and when i went for the 4 wheel drive button it clicked out of 2 high then went into neutral and never made it to 4X4 i had to get the new actuator fixed the problem imediately. I went to a junk yard for the part and paid about 50 bucks for it a new one is like 299.00 plus some change. But if you get it from a Junk yard its not guaranteed so its your choice. Hope this helps.