Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2006 Suburban Cruise Control Issue

Search this Thread

Old October 23rd, 2015, 8:10 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Suburban Cruise Control Issue

The Cruise Control on my 06 Suburban stopped working a few days ago. The green CC light on the dash does not come on and the cruise does not engage when I push the button. I've moved the switch from off to on and it feels fine. Fuse is fine and I replaced the Brake/Stop Light Switch and the turn signal/wiper/cruise control switch. Still not working. Any other ideas? Thanks
Old October 24th, 2015, 7:52 AM
CF Active Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by penzfan
The Cruise Control on my 06 Suburban stopped working a few days ago. The green CC light on the dash does not come on and the cruise does not engage when I push the button. I've moved the switch from off to on and it feels fine. Fuse is fine and I replaced the Brake/Stop Light Switch and the turn signal/wiper/cruise control switch. Still not working. Any other ideas? Thanks
Check for 12V at these connections on the Throttle Actuator Control Module:
16 Pin plug, Key in RUN position...
Pin 7 (Pink)
Pin 6 (L-Blue) with Brake Pedal Pressed
Pin 14 (Gray) with Speed Control Switch ON
Pin 5 (Gray/Black) with Speed Control Switch R/A
Pin 4 (D-Blue) with Speed Control Switch ON & Set/Coast ON
Let us know if you're missing any of these signals (bad wiring/connectors), or Pin 6 has 12V all the time (brake switch).
Old October 24th, 2015, 10:32 AM
CF Beginner

Default Same problem

Mine just failed on Thursday. there were a couple of times that it would come on if I pressed two or three times; now it won't come on at all.

Not that it's the first thing to run out and do...but I assume these switches can just fail? After all, after 270k it's been pressed thousands of times.
Old June 29th, 2018, 10:25 PM
CF Junior Member

OK. So it's been 1 year since I replaced the fuses, brake light switch and turn signal/wiper/cruise stem on the steering wheel and still no Cruise Control. However, last Sunday I hooked up a U-Haul Trailer to move some stuff across town and the damn green Cruise Control light lit up when I pressed the button and the Cruise worked perfectly. Once I turned the U-Haul back in the Cruise is not working again. I thought maybe the 7-pin adapter used to plug in the 4-pin connector for the trailer lights somehow triggered the Cruise circuit to work. I plugged the adapter back in but the Cruise is not working. Any other ideas would help. At least now I know all the fuses, brake light switch and column stem are in working order.
Old June 29th, 2018, 11:33 PM
Super Moderator

Received 507 Likes on 467 Posts

maybe you have a missing grd that the trailer provided. If this the factory wiring or did someone splice into the system.

check for codes in the body control module...which controls all the lighting operation. If there is a open circuit...a dtc may be set; worth a shot if it gives you a diagnosis starting point. full function scan tool required.
Old June 30th, 2018, 3:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by penzfan

Directional relay? This is my response to another suburban owner with signal and speed control problems:

Posted By: wishneverboughtsuburban interior lights flashing instead of turn signal operating
plus cruise control sometimes works and sometimes doesn't
Both issues share the same signal arm, but it may be two separate issues. Changing out the directional relay may fix the flashing issue, but the cruise control issue might be related to a problem in the signal arm itself. Youtube a video or two before you do anything, they have saved me a lot of money in the past.
Old October 6th, 2018, 8:42 PM
CF Beginner

Have a 2006 Suburban and put led turn signal and brake light bulbs in. My cruise control stopped working and got an error p0172 and p0175 first trip out, put back in the original bulbs and everything is fine. Could not believe it so I put back in the led bulbs and and, once again, no cruise control and error p0172 and p0175. Put the original bulbs back in and everything is fine. Drove about 100 miles to verify and everything is good. What the hell??????
Old October 7th, 2018, 12:57 AM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Welcome to the forum.
Might need load resistors.
Old January 18th, 2019, 3:40 PM
CF Junior Member

Mystery solved after 3 years. I remembered I had installed new led tail lights a few weeks before my cruise control stopped working. Well, the fix was to install a $10 shunt in-line with the Brake Light line on the left rear led tail light. Cruise is working again! Thanks for all the suggestions...