Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Liftgate Problem

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2011, 10:45 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

sticky or dirty switch contacts?
if you can get the the inside handle switch try using some contact cleaner, if you have the interior switch check it out as well....
also check the wire harness to the gate for any pinched wires...
Old May 20th, 2011, 11:38 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by jcurtis69
Well, I replaced the latch. Now the problem is back. Intermittently the liftgate wont open. or it will start to release then not open. almost as if the exterior handle isn't working. The other day the liftgate opened on its own when i unlocked the truck. It has done it twice now.... I'm baffled... It sound like an electronic problem somewhere, not a hardware issue.
Jcurtis69,

Could you please message me your contact information including your VIN so I can further investigate your situation?

Thank you!

Elizabeth, Chevrolet Customer Service
Old May 23rd, 2011, 4:18 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The exact same thing is happening to me. I open the door sometimes and can hear the rear lift gate unlatch but not fully unlocked and it sometimes does it with the key fob. I am so glad I found this forum with the same issue. Please keep me updated on the outcome... for now I'm locked out of the back.

Thanks
Old May 24th, 2011, 11:57 PM
CF Beginner

Mine did the same thing. It would not open from the outside handle or close from the button on the hatch. However it would work from the overhead console switch and the remote. It was like this for months. All of the sudden the other day it began working again. I have no idea why.
Old May 25th, 2011, 7:30 AM
CF Beginner

Okay here is what fixed mine for now. I took out the BCM fuse on the inside fuse box for about 10 minutes, replaced, and everything worked! I'll let you know if it fails again anytime soon. Hope this helps...
Old May 25th, 2011, 8:20 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

got to love all the electronics and "tech"...thanks for following up with a possible fix
Old June 29th, 2011, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

I have a 2007 Tahoe in Toronto Canada and my tailgate goes completely dead for days. liftgate doesnt unlock, glass does not unlock and wiper doesnt work.

One day when it did work i removed the interior panels. Gm quoted 6 hours at $120 to track the problem and on the day that i broke down and took it in it worked fine. yesterday it worked , today?? When it works it usually last about a week.
Old October 31st, 2011, 10:52 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default liftgate, 2007 tahoe

Well, it looks like the best guess is the BCM (body control module). Since I am out of warranty I installed a manual release on the inside of the lift gate. I fitted a push button release where I drilled a small hole earlier to access the manual release using a wire. Works great. Just have to open the top hatch then reach in an press the button when the outside handle doesn't work. I would have thought Chevy would have made a manual release button. Took me about 30 minutes to install....
The following users liked this post:
Denton Hunt (November 16th, 2019)
Old November 19th, 2011, 11:40 AM
CF Beginner

Default Lift gate issue

First time on site--2006 Tahoe lift gate does not lock msg on dashed replace lift gate fuse Chevy dealership checked all fuses and they are good now rear wiper does not work....any suggestions?
Old November 19th, 2011, 5:26 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:PunctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <wontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]--> Nipp456,
Did the rear wiper work before you took it to the dealer for the lift gate? Did the dealer replace fuse(s) to fix the lift gate issue? You may want to contact the dealer to let them know what happened after they fixed the lift gate. Keep us posted!

Louis
GM Customer Service

Quick Reply: 2007 Liftgate Problem