Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 Suburban LTZ Exterior Door Handles Coming Off

Search this Thread

Old July 19th, 2011, 5:23 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 Suburban LTZ Exterior Door Handles Coming Off

2007 Suburban LTZ. Both handles on driver side are coming off. The left side of the handle has broken off and has become disconnected from the door. I called Don @ GM Customer Care line @ 866-790-5700 x.42883. He said any recalls for this problem are VIN specific. Being that I purchased my vehicle used and it was out of warranty, mine did not qualify for a recall for this problem. I really didn't expect anything different than that. My primary objective for calling was to input a complaint about this problem into their system. If there are enough complaints, they may elect to make this a system wide recall rather than a VIN specific recall. Very frustrating, but the more calls they get, the more likely they may do the right thing and replace these faulty handles at their expense. Anyone else experiencing this problem with Suburban? I've seen other posts on other forums that report on the same problem with Tahoe, Yukon and even on the Escalade.
Old July 19th, 2011, 5:51 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum,
I have seen a couple of post about the handles, it might be worth taking it to a local dealer to see what they say...
Another option is to order new ones and install them yourself....it would give you the option to upgrade to chrome or painted or black if you do it yourself...
Old July 20th, 2011, 7:45 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default lol

GM quality strikes again

file w/the BBB, that gets their attention fast.

www.bbb.org
Old July 20th, 2011, 3:48 PM
CF Beginner

I took it to the Chevy dealer today. They quoted $172 for the driver door handle and $164 for the passenger door handle. I went across the street to the Ford dealer who has a body shop. They quoted $90 ea. Irony like this belongs in a Alanis Morrisette song.
Old July 20th, 2011, 8:43 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

1AAuto has them for $49...for the pair
2007 Chevy Tahoe Exterior Door Handle at 1AAuto.com.
Old September 19th, 2011, 12:58 PM
CF Beginner

2008 surburban, 1 broke under warranty, dealer replaced. 2 more broken now. Calling my dealer. ALL Sales Manufacturing has billet aluminum ones for $273 for a set of 2. Try Summit Racing. Crazy that these things are breaking in the 1st place.
Old September 19th, 2011, 1:34 PM
CF Beginner

My dealer just told me to stop by tomorrow and he will replace them at no charge. Out of warranty. Very cool.
Old October 8th, 2011, 10:01 PM
CF Beginner

Had this happen at my friendly GM dealer as the tech and I were walking out to my 08 Surburban. He was going to drive it to check out a problem, and I had locked it because of valuables in it.

He grabbed the handle on the drivers door and it came off in his hand. He said he was unaware of it ever happening before, but the dealer replaced it under warranty. Vehicle was about 18 months old at the time and still under warranty.
Old October 17th, 2011, 2:14 PM
CF Beginner

I had this same issue with my '07 LTZ. I got an aftermarket replacment handle from Amazon for $32 + shipping mine was the Drivers side Rear door. You can also get them from O'Reily Auto Parts. The installation is very simple and easy to do yourself all you need is a Putty Knife (or something to pry the door panel off), a Straight Blade Screw Diver and a 10mm socket/rachet with a 6" extension.

www.DormanProducts.com

Last edited by xempt; October 17th, 2011 at 2:19 PM.
Old May 10th, 2014, 6:38 PM
CF Beginner

Default Chevy Suburban LTZ door handles

The same thing is happening with my 2007 Suburban LTZ!! The passenger back door just popped right out of the door one day out of no where! Ridiculous that they don't recall this, just like all the Suburbans and Tahoes from 2006-2012 all the dashboards are cracking but they will NOT create a recall because it's not a safety issue they said!!

Quick Reply: 2007 Suburban LTZ Exterior Door Handles Coming Off