Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007 suburban questions

Search this Thread

Old December 3rd, 2012, 8:00 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Interesting as I spoke to one of the principals of AlphaTherm at SEMA a couple of years ago and he said they bought the rights since the original company (MicroHeat?) was forced into bankruptcy by GM. Couldn't find anything on the net about where to get a MicroHeat but here's AlphaTherm. Which looks identical to the MicroHeat.

Where did you get yours?
Old December 4th, 2012, 4:35 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stand corrected. It is the Alpha Heat model that I bought most recently. Yes, the MicroHeat name is gone. Same/better product as the original MicroHeat, probably better built now too. My older one works flawlessly to this day though.
As a side note: I called the Farmington Hills, MI office and got fantastic customer support, even before I placed my order. Very helpful and informative. I will certainly buy from them again when I get another vehicle. Thank you for correcting me, as I want to give the right company the praise !!!
Old December 4th, 2012, 7:17 AM
CF Beginner

From what I can find microheat is the manufacturer of the original factory system that was removed by the dealer
Dan
Old December 5th, 2012, 5:00 AM
CF Beginner

You are right. My MicroHeat unit that I bought years ago is in my Sub. It's the manual unit, but has never caused any problems and still works great today. I like the newer unit from Alpha better, because it's an auto-on, thermostatically controlled unit. It only takes about 20 seconds for unit to come to temp, even in Michigan winters. Much cheaper than burning fuel with an auto starter, which I've had. And some jurisdictions will not allow an unattended idling vehicle. As you can see I love this unit, and it's convenience. PS - Wife likes it too, no scraping while shopping, etc.. Too bad GM and Micro couldn't have worked out the kinks.
Old December 5th, 2012, 2:58 PM
RJK
CF Junior Member

My 2007 was the same way with the DVD drove me and the kids crazy, if I remember correctly yes the remote would turn on the flip down screen on and continue playing from where you left off. (Just point the remote at the flip down screen hit the power button and it should start playing) I have a 2008 suburban also and the flip down screen plays automatically upon start up with no remote needed. I wonder if it is a 2007 thing only that the remote is needed.fficeffice" /><O></O>
<O></O>

Last edited by RJK; December 5th, 2012 at 3:01 PM.
Old December 5th, 2012, 6:44 PM
Administrator

Received 155 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by delta579
You are right. My MicroHeat unit that I bought years ago is in my Sub. It's the manual unit, but has never caused any problems and still works great today. I like the newer unit from Alpha better, because it's an auto-on, thermostatically controlled unit. It only takes about 20 seconds for unit to come to temp, even in Michigan winters. Much cheaper than burning fuel with an auto starter, which I've had. And some jurisdictions will not allow an unattended idling vehicle. As you can see I love this unit, and it's convenience. PS - Wife likes it too, no scraping while shopping, etc.. Too bad GM and Micro couldn't have worked out the kinks.
According to the AutoTherm rep @ SEMA, GM increased the voltage spike amplitude on the 12V line at the last minute and wouldn't pay for the change. That led to failures that GM also wanted MicroHeat to pay for and being a small company, they went into bankruptcy. Just another reason I think that GM should have been allowed to go into a regular one instead of the one that Barry dictated whereby the bond holders got stiffed, the unions got a large gift, and taxpayers got left holding the bag.
Old December 5th, 2012, 7:40 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

This whole fiasco with Rick Waggoner and the "Barry" bailout has really put the unions in front of the 8 ball. Good "ole" American workmanship is sitting in the crapper along with its ethics...
Old January 28th, 2014, 7:55 PM
CF Beginner

Hi... New to site as well. I heard about the refund of $100 but didn't get it. Don't know if I really care about it but i would like the heat back. Any way of doing that?
Old February 10th, 2018, 5:55 PM
CF Beginner

Wow I forgot about this post! I’m a much bigger reader than a poster.
I still have the 07 suburban just over 200k now but it has suffered the dreaded afm lifter failure on cyl 4, and low oil pressure. I’m searching for a long block to give it a new lease on life as it is still in great condition. Everything still works and I just put new tires on it and a new battery. It has been a great vehicle for me. There have been no major failures up until the engine went just regular maintenance. I’m hoping to put in a new engine soon and probably drive it for a few more years.
Dan