Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2007+ Tahoe Add-an-Amp

Search this Thread

Old April 16th, 2009, 12:03 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by in2pro
actually I have an old school Punch 40ix in mint condition that I'd like to put to use to put a little thump in the cargo area and something that will still accommodate the 3rd row and can be pulled out quickly when I need all the cargo area.
I used to have a couple of 10in 8ohms ( C10-8's) in a box that got lifted years ago and just haven't pursued it.
Its really a simple install. It kicked my a$$ at first, but thats how new vehicles are sometimes. The lack of an accessory or switched wire in these new cars is freaking crazy! Let me know if you need further help.
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by shawnvw
nice post except that t-taps are the devil!
The T-taps I pictured are the devil! I hate that style.. the ones that clip on and you plug into them with a male plug are way better but hard to find at some hardware stores.
Old April 16th, 2009, 12:15 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by d1nonly34
very good write up great pics... when I use that pink ignition signal wire I always like to use a relay, especially since the whole car runs on low voltage system I dont want to even take the chance with that very delicate BCM, just a thought though, it wouldnt hurt since you have both 12v constant and ground there also.
I actually checked the wire while driving for voltage and current fluctuations and there weren't any. I agree with adding a relay though anytime there is more than one amp.
Old April 17th, 2009, 5:20 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

....I just noticed also that you connected the amp turn-on wire backwards! haha....the arrows indicate that current flow is supposed to go the other way!

haha

and if you believe that I have some property in Florida for sale!
Old April 17th, 2009, 6:40 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by shawnvw
....I just noticed also that you connected the amp turn-on wire backwards! haha....the arrows indicate that current flow is supposed to go the other way!

haha

and if you believe that I have some property in Florida for sale!
You know I saw the arrows the first day too and it didn't click....
Old April 18th, 2009, 9:29 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

a copper wire, is a copper wire, is a copper wire......no matter how you braide\twist\knot it up......These companies that claim that there copper wire is directional are all on drugs......unless they hide diodes inline with the wire
Old April 18th, 2009, 9:52 AM
Administrator

the electrons don't care your right...its the detail of the details, I'm a stickler for those things.
I like to solder, heat shrink and even color code the heat shrink and connectors, I use wire loom when I can. Dose it make the equipment perform any better...no but shows a level of detail awareness.

socaliguy81, we're not knocking you, you did a great job and write up but now we have something to gig you about...
Old April 19th, 2009, 8:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by in2pro
the electrons don't care your right...its the detail of the details, I'm a stickler for those things.
I like to solder, heat shrink and even color code the heat shrink and connectors, I use wire loom when I can. Dose it make the equipment perform any better...no but shows a level of detail awareness.

socaliguy81, we're not knocking you, you did a great job and write up but now we have something to gig you about...
Keep in mind that this a brand new Tahoe. I wanted to make some connections easy to unplug and hide if needed.
Old April 19th, 2009, 10:06 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by socaliguy81
Keep in mind that this a brand new Tahoe. I wanted to make some connections easy to unplug and hide if needed.
That's a good point, I always keep and put away what I take out, when I pulled the amp I had, I left the power and turn on wire in place. In retrospect that 8 gauge wire would be nice to have at the price of copper now...
Old May 20th, 2010, 8:44 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hope I am not getting too off topic but I have installed a center console in my 07 LS and it had an amp at the rear of the console (inside) and rear radio controls but seeing as how my 07 LS had a bench there was no wiring to conect the radio to the amp and make the rear controls function.Is there any way,such as a harness,so I can get the amp and/or rear controls to operate?
The center console has one side of the large,and small,conector that is shown in the first posts picture.

Thanks

Quick Reply: 2007+ Tahoe Add-an-Amp