Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Suburban P0449 issues

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2019, 11:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Suburban P0449 issues

So I've got a 2008 Suburban with some evap issues. Last year had issues with filling the gas tank beyond 1/4 tank at a time. Replaced the evap charcoal canister and vent solenoid and it solved the issue. This year a check engine light popped up and turns out to be P0449. Replaced the vent valve as it's the most common issue. No success. Replaced the purge valve. No success. I checked the hoses from the charcoal canister to the gas tank and has no obstructions.

I have access to a snap on scanner, and hooked it up to test the vent solenoid. I heard no clicking of the solenoid. I checked the voltage and have 12v on one wire and 0.02 to 0.4v on the other when cycling the output to the vent solenoid.

Should I hear a clicking of the vent solenoid while cycling the valve? The fuel tank pressure didn't change when I turned on and off the vent valve. Is that right? I would expect the pressure to go to zero if the vent valve is actually opening. I pulled off the vent line from the gas tank to charcoal canister and the pressure went to zero. On the scanner it did also indicate that the O2 test was also not completed. When I try to reset the code, it immediately comes back on.

Any suggestions on additional things to check? Need to get emissions tested in a couple weeks. Thanks.
Old September 6th, 2019, 9:14 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sorted out the issue. When I was getting the low voltage was with the solenoid disconnected. When I had the solenoid connected, I was constantly getting 12V. removed some of the loom and found some green corrosion on the wire, pulled to inspect and it snapped. tested by jumpering it with alligator clamps and the solenoid cycled. Soldered in a splice and solenoid is cycling on and off. Waiting for the Evap system to complete it's test after a number of drives, but so far so good. O2 test also completed.
Old September 7th, 2019, 7:13 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Kidcamaro69
I sorted out the issue. When I was getting the low voltage was with the solenoid disconnected. When I had the solenoid connected, I was constantly getting 12V. removed some of the loom and found some green corrosion on the wire, pulled to inspect and it snapped. tested by jumpering it with alligator clamps and the solenoid cycled. Soldered in a splice and solenoid is cycling on and off. Waiting for the Evap system to complete it's test after a number of drives, but so far so good. O2 test also completed.

Good work, KidCamaro69!!!
Old September 10th, 2019, 9:58 AM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Agreed excellent work, thanks for following up !