Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Suburban - Rack and Pinion RIDICULOUS!

Search this Thread

Old February 27th, 2012, 10:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 Suburban - Rack and Pinion RIDICULOUS!

Hi Guys...

I have a dilemma which could be turn out to be costly (but shouldn't!).

Any advise on the matter would be appreciated... I've searched for days for the solution and can't seem to get anywhere.

The Rack and Pinion mount bushing on my 2008 Suburban is worn out and because of it, the assembly is slightly loose. It is causing some uneven wear in the front tires and also some suspension noise. The part basically connects the rack and pinion assembly to the frame. It needs to be unbolted, slid off and replaced with a new one, then tightened. Simple!

Chevy sends me the diagram with the part clearly labeled #1. They claim #1 does not refer to the actual part but the complete assembly. Even though the part is removable and only used to mount the assembly to the frame, they consider it part of the assembly. I can't seem to find this aftermarket part. Instead of having to spend $200 or less (probably?), I may be looking at $700 to buy the entire unit unless I go for an aftermarket (still not cheap). I have considered buying the full aftermarket rack and pinion assembly just to swap this part but am not sure if it is to spec.

Here are 2 pictures I've included with the part, one in diagram and one in a stock aftermarket picture. Any advise would be recommended. I'm strapped for cash right now.

Old February 27th, 2012, 5:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Item #1 is the whole steering gear kit. That bracket is not something they can sell you so you can just get it pressed in. I've no doubt you can slide it off but press a new one in without damaging anything? Imagine the liability issue, the same reason they won't sell you components that make up the assembly.
Old February 27th, 2012, 6:08 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EinST
Item #1 is the whole steering gear kit. That bracket is not something they can sell you so you can just get it pressed in. I've no doubt you can slide it off but press a new one in without damaging anything? Imagine the liability issue, the same reason they won't sell you components that make up the assembly.
You can buy every labeled component on that list from the dealership... with the exception of that bracket because they are considering it part of the "assembly." In fact, those arrows that are drawn on are from the dealership that faxed the diagram over... they were both labeled "Not Serviceable" (I erased) and directed at the core component which is understandable. I do not believe the bushing labeled under #1 is a non-servicable component. Because that bushing is worn, the entire assembly needs to be replaced?

9,10,11,12,13,14,15 which can all be purchased at the dealership are serviceable. After those parts are removed, the problematic bushing slides off and a new one can be slid back on, the 7 removed components of the rack and pinion are then reassembled and tightened to the frame. What could possibly be damaged when there is nothing that the part really engages?

The aftermarket companies all make this part for older models... the reason I can't find any is because these aren't supposed to fail so sudden... there is no demand for the part.

Trust me, If it was a matter of $700+ or a few bucks, I think you'd be a little heated also. In my case, my 1500 LT has 50k miles... already had a camshaft issue, revised manifold installation, failed door locking motor, now a rack and pinion that is shot.

Last edited by suburbanjoe; February 27th, 2012 at 6:12 PM.
Old February 27th, 2012, 6:18 PM
CF Beginner

Maybe it's just me though? If anybody seconds your opinion i'll give in and reconsider.
Old February 27th, 2012, 6:36 PM
CF Veteran

I'm not sure what you want. They wrote "Not Serviceable" on that scan and you erased it for what purpose? We can agree that the situation sucks to no end but that obviously ain't gonna get your vehicle fixed. I think you ought to get yourself a remanufactured unit and see for yourself if that bushing is "serviceable" like you make it sound like. Good luck.
Old February 27th, 2012, 7:52 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by EinST
I'm not sure what you want. They wrote "Not Serviceable" on that scan and you erased it for what purpose? We can agree that the situation sucks to no end but that obviously ain't gonna get your vehicle fixed. I think you ought to get yourself a remanufactured unit and see for yourself if that bushing is "serviceable" like you make it sound like. Good luck.
Einst, I erased it because I tried to make the scan as clean as possible... thats all. Regardless, you can see where the "Not Serviceable" arrows were pointing to, I left them. I had the truck up on a lift with the mechanic who pointed out the issue and I saw the way it was bolted on first hand. He was the one that originally tried locating that specific part and assured me it's no more then a 1 hour job.

As for purchasing an aftermarket/remanufactured unit, that's the route I'm leaning toward. Even that is gonna be costly. I'm just going to go to the dealership again and raise some hell.
Old February 27th, 2012, 9:16 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

You can raise all the hell you want, it will not change anything. There are lots of makes and models out there that the rack bushings,mounts are not serviceable separately.
Old February 28th, 2012, 8:02 AM
CF Addict

you could.. buy a new one then swap your old bushing... not that you should, but you could

I run into this with boats a lot... sometimes a $5.00 part becomes a $60 assembly because they won't sell just the once piece, you can only break down something as large as a car so far...