Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2008 Tahoe Electrical Problems

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2014, 7:53 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the same problem. I flipped on my high beams, and the engine died. lol When I wiggle the positive cable, everything works again. I can see the wires are loose in the crimp of the terminal. Going to try soldering it first.
Old January 4th, 2014, 10:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I can't stress enough how important primary wiring is.

A bad negative cable causes many anomalies and shorts.

Replace your cables, and it levels the playing field.

And don't forget that engine ground strap.
Old June 9th, 2014, 8:19 AM
CF Beginner

Hi there. I am having the same issues with my 08 Tahoe and it has 96, 000 miles on it. Has anyone found a permanent solution for this? I spend my life in my car and cant not have it shutting down on me with no rhyme or reason. On my way into work this morning it started to shut down several times. I have never been so happy to pull into my office parking lot before.
Old June 9th, 2014, 8:09 PM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi WolfeKatz,

I am sorry to hear you are experiencing these concerns with your vehicle! Have you spoken with your local dealership regarding the concerns? Please feel free to send us a private message at any time so we may further assist you.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by WolfeKatz
Hi there. I am having the same issues with my 08 Tahoe and it has 96, 000 miles on it. Has anyone found a permanent solution for this? I spend my life in my car and cant not have it shutting down on me with no rhyme or reason. On my way into work this morning it started to shut down several times. I have never been so happy to pull into my office parking lot before.
Old June 10th, 2014, 7:49 AM
Super Moderator

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Hi WolfeKatz, Welcome to the Chevy Forums.

There is, unfortunately, no "permanent fix", as

wires corrode constantly, and are copper, which is

not only exposed to the weather, but temperature

extremes in your engine compartment.

IME, every four years or so you should be looking to

inspect or change the battery cables, and if you are

a serious DIY mechanic, become proficient at it. It's

dimes to dollars over what you pay a dealer for the

same parts and labor, as evidenced in the posts above.

Another couple of things to consider, especially if you add on power

inverters, aftermarket stereos, winches, and such are

changing to top-mount battery cable ends, and possibly a

serious heavy duty gel-cell battery.
Old June 11th, 2014, 6:20 AM
CF Beginner

Default Electrical problems?

I have owned 3 2008 tahoes, and 1 2011 tahoe. (i seem to be a target for bad drivers in atlanta). Every one of them had the same problem. The engine compartment fuse box. The buss bars that hold the fuses get weak, and create a bad connection to the fuse. I completely disassemble the fuse box (taking pictures, of course) and clean the buss bars with a wire brush, spray de-ox it on them, pinch them tighter, and reassemble. It fixes all kinds of problems from dimming lights, to sun roof reversing while running windows up and down. Also, i have installed a 2nd battery in each one. What a tremendous difference! No more crazy voltage gauge, and never a dead battery. Cold starts are a breeze, and peace of mind. Definitely worth the expense and effort. Also, I noticed the positive cable end at the battery gets loose on the cable. instead of replacing the positive battery cable, i just soldered the cable to the cable end with a torch, flux, and solder. I hope this helps!
Old July 2nd, 2014, 8:37 AM
CF Beginner

Default 08

After cleaning and replacing wires and various other parts on the inside of my car we are taking it to the dealership. After it wouldn't start this morning and we got it going the radio died and it doesn't have much pick up.
I have to floor it to get a little hill in my neighborhood where as yesterday it was fine.
I am sure the dealership will charge and arm and a leg but it will be well worth it if they can fix it.

Anyone had any issues with the radio dying and suddenly hours later deciding it will work?
Old July 3rd, 2014, 7:30 AM
Official GM Rep

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

Hi WolfeKatz,

Thanks for updating us on your concern. Please keep us posted on your dealership visit. We are happy to assist further if the concern remains unresolved.

Jessica
Chevrolet Customer Care

Originally Posted by WolfeKatz
After cleaning and replacing wires and various other parts on the inside of my car we are taking it to the dealership. After it wouldn't start this morning and we got it going the radio died and it doesn't have much pick up.
I have to floor it to get a little hill in my neighborhood where as yesterday it was fine.
I am sure the dealership will charge and arm and a leg but it will be well worth it if they can fix it.

Anyone had any issues with the radio dying and suddenly hours later deciding it will work?
Old March 6th, 2015, 11:54 PM
CF Beginner

Default 2007 Tahoe electrical trouble

My 2007 Tahoe has started having electrical problems. They started off being occasional, but know they are frequent. sometimes it's just the door locks that click and sometimes the lights go out, the dash flashes, and the door locks click. The other day the rear hatch would not open with the remote and I had no problems with the electrical stuff on the way home, which never happens. Made it home, turned it off, hatch worked fine. Next day all electrical problems were back. Any help of explanation would be greatly appreciated.
Old March 7th, 2015, 2:20 PM
Administrator

Received 42 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the forum...
How old is the battery?
Have you had the battery and charging system checked?
How do the battery cables look?
Have you cleaned them and tightened on both ends?
The engine to chassis ground strap needs to be clean and tight..
Check and tighten the generator mounting bolts as well as its wired connection.

Quick Reply: 2008 Tahoe Electrical Problems