Notices
Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

2009 Nav Wiring - VSS bypass Diagram

Old August 25th, 2009, 12:22 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2009 Nav Wiring - VSS bypass Diagram

Yes; I did extensive google and searches on this site. Please post pics / links / help if you can!

I have an 09 Tahoe w/factory Sat Nav.

I want to try the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor, right?) bypass to allow me to enter address destinations on the roll... (Please no input on the legality / crashing issue, Honda, BMW, and Benz let you do it on the roll, so does my $100 4" GPS)

What wire is the VSS on the back of my head unit?

I want to know what I am looking for before I take it all apart.

I plan to wire in a hidden switch to it.

Can you please ID this wire in a diagram on the back of the unit.

Also, where does this wire connect to on the other end? would it be easier to tap at that end?

thanks!
Old August 25th, 2009, 7:23 PM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

Might try reading the Nav install sticky as I think VSS was discussed there.
Old August 25th, 2009, 8:32 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try this..

http://www.saturnoutlookforum.net/index.php?topic=294.0
Old August 26th, 2009, 8:00 AM
CF Addict

I THINK I FOUND IT... a billion searches later:

I had the same problem. You have to make the connection to the vehicle speed signal for the Nav system to work properly. As you may have read in this thread, the VSS is picked up on the rear of a junction block GM calls "Junction Block - Left I/P" under the dash on the drivers side. VSS is available on plug X2 pin H1. It's a green wire with a white trace. If you did not buy a VSS harness with your equipment, you need to find a source.

- from someone else on the forum, and I have a diagram too!

is this diagram / info valid for the 09?! can I just pull the VSS wire and see what happens before I cut it and wire in a switch?

OR is it the GREEN wires in a BROWN harness behind the unit?!
Attached Thumbnails 2009 Nav Wiring - VSS bypass Diagram-jb%2520left%2520ip.jpg   2009 Nav Wiring - VSS bypass Diagram-vss.jpg  

Last edited by SabrToothSqrl; August 26th, 2009 at 8:40 AM.
Old August 27th, 2009, 10:40 AM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

green\white wire in brown connector(Connector 4) in pin position 5

If you remove this wire from the circuit, your nav will no longer track your vehicle.
Old August 27th, 2009, 11:15 AM
CF Addict

Default Vss

AWESOME, yes, thank you. I did find the diagram this morning, its in another post I created.

Not remove, just add a switch; elsewere on this forum its been discovered that by putting a switch on this wire you can enter addresses on the move, then put the switch back...

IE turn off, enter destination while rolling, turn back on....

I think the lock pick does the same thing, as it cuts the VSS wire for 60 seconds when you press MUTE 2X, from what I understand of the manual...
Old August 28th, 2009, 12:36 AM
Administrator

Received 154 Likes on 152 Posts

So you can replace a $200 Lockpic w/ a $.75 switch?
Old August 28th, 2009, 7:37 AM
CF Addict

Default yes

that's the plan! but it won't allow DVD movies on the go.. but I don't want that anyway... i just want address entry on the move...

I will hopefully get this done sat night; but I doubt it..

I still have an outstanding issue w/my sav nav factory and I dont want them to blame me for 'modifying' it.
Old August 28th, 2009, 9:55 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SabrToothSqrl
that's the plan! but it won't allow DVD movies on the go.. but I don't want that anyway... i just want address entry on the move...

I will hopefully get this done sat night; but I doubt it..

I still have an outstanding issue w/my sav nav factory and I dont want them to blame me for 'modifying' it.
Good luck with the mod... when you take the radio out, please make note of the PART#. I want to compare to mine.

Thanks!
Old August 31st, 2009, 5:11 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

you guys and your part#'s.........Radio part numbers change ALL THE TIME. Why? I don't know. there may very well be 10 different part numbers for the nav radios in the NBS pick-up\suburban\tahoe\hummer\vue\enclave etc etc. The radios in all of these vehicle are EXACTLY the same. from the 07 NBS C\K's up to the 09's. The 2010's could be the same as well(haven't had the chance to work on one yet).
What i'm saying is if SabrToothSqrl, takes his hoe in, and they replace the radio, he could be getting a radio from an 07 vehicle. GM does not replace radios with new units. You get a REMAN radio. and if the radio is the same from an 07pick-up, to an 09 tahoe, you get what you get.
The differance in the radios is the software that is loaded when the radio is installed

[/RANT]

sorry for that ....had to get it off my chest

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 Nav Wiring - VSS bypass Diagram